No announcement yet.

Gas is $2.68 a gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a good morning laugh, I was reading the morning paper and in the business summary section there was a tease of an article that would finally explain why gas prices rise quickly but are slower to go down. This looked like a must read. THE MYSTERY would finally be explained by known economists.

Here was an excerpt from the article.

GULF COAST CRISIS
    Gasoline rides `rockets and feathers'
    You're not imagining things: Prices at the pump are slow to fall

By Robert Manor, Tribune staff reporter. Bloomberg News contributed to this report
    Published September 8, 2005

Does it seem that gasoline prices rise just as quickly as petroleum prices, but fall much more slowly when oil prices go down?

The answer is yes, and economists who have studied the issue can explain why.

Lynne Kiesling, senior lecturer of economics at Northwestern University, said the phenomenon of quickly rising but slowly falling gasoline prices at the pump is known as "rockets and feathers." The price rises like a rocket, but falls like a feather.

"We all need to remember that the primary role of prices is to transmit information about scarcity," Kiesling said.

Service station operators, particularly those owned by major oil companies, have nearly instant knowledge about the fluctuating price of wholesale gasoline and are able to raise prices almost in real time.

Kiesling said there is a natural desire not to lower prices too quickly--you make more money that way.

"Profit maximization is the motive of every individual in life," she said. "It's part of human nature."

Stephen Brown, director of energy economics at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, has studied retail gasoline pricing.

"Gas prices do tend to rise more quickly when oil prices are rising than they fall when oil prices are falling," Brown said.

He said that while prices can shoot up rapidly, it on average takes eight weeks for the decline in price to equal the rise.

Retail gasoline prices rise with wholesale prices more quickly now than in the past.

"It is almost simultaneous," Brown said. "The market has sped up."
    The mystery is solved. It's all about profit.
    I NEEDED AN ARTICLE BY EXPERTS TO UNRAVEL THIS COMPLEX MYSTERY.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• While the short-term pain is drawing to a close, economists are pretty much telling us that the days of 30$ oil aren't coming back. Get used to 2.70$ gas, because it's not going away.

CIBC World Markets predicts oil at US$84 a barrel in 2006, on way to $100
      11:12 AM EDT Sep 08

TORONTO (CP) - Oil will likely climb to $84 US a barrel next year, eventually rising to $100 US per barrel by the end of 2007, CIBC World Markets predicted Thursday.

The average West Texas Intermediate oil prices will be affected by both supply and demand factors over the next few years, the study by chief economist Jeff Rubin said.

The study, which predicts oil will average $93 US per barrel in 2007, said prices are "expected to reach or exceed $100 US per barrel by the fourth quarter of that year."

"The devastation to both oilfields and oil industry infrastructure from hurricane Katrina will not only impact current oil production but future production as well," CIBC World Markets said in a release.

"The study expects that planned expansion of production in the Gulf of Mexico over the next two years is likely to be halved; cutting off nearly 300,000 barrels per day of potential future supply. The setbacks to planned expansion of Gulf of Mexico capacity comes on the heels of stagnant production in Russia and tapped out capacity in OPEC."

The study noted that world oil demand is less price sensitive than was thought, "requiring larger than originally anticipated price increases to rein in future demand growth." It linked a declining sensitivity in world oil demand to price and to the growing importance of energy consumption in China.

"While the full economic impact of expected oil price increases is difficult to gauge, at a minimum, the economic drag from higher energy prices should quickly cap rising short-term interest rates in both Canada and the Untied States," Rubin said.

"Apart from possibly one more rate hike on either side of the border, we are likely at a cyclical peak in short-term interest rates thanks to soaring oil prices."

CIBC World Markets is the wholesale banking arm of CIBC (TSX:CM) providing credit and capital markets products, investment banking and merchant banking.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Basically, demand is inealastic and the growth in demand is going to outstrip the growth in supply...
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Maybe the US markets will start selling more fuel efficient cars now?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Well, I have to figure something out. I can't afford to drive to school, but so far I haven't figured out how not to. If I can't work it out I might have to drop out. That's no good.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by rah
              For a good morning laugh, I was reading the morning paper and in the business summary section there was a tease of an article that would finally explain why gas prices rise quickly but are slower to go down. This looked like a must read. THE MYSTERY would finally be explained by known economists.

Here was an excerpt from the article.

The mystery is solved. It's all about profit.
              I NEEDED AN ARTICLE BY EXPERTS TO UNRAVEL THIS COMPLEX MYSTERY.
              Ever read the article by an economist explaining why most people stand when on an escalator but walk up stairs?
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Yeah. That one was ridiculous.

No ****ing **** the value measurement is time, not distance.

That's the answer that occured to me as I was reading that article. It took the economists a summer of research to figure that out.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Nobody knows what the price of oil will be tomorrow or any other time in the future. It's just a SWAG. Even futures markets can go up and down very quickly.

Because of this, quotes like "the days of $30 oil are over" are retarded. Trust me on this, as somebody whose family has been in the oil business for generations.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    Yeah. That one was ridiculous.

No ****ing **** the value measurement is time, not distance.

That's the answer that occured to me as I was reading that article. It took the economists a summer of research to figure that out.

Probably working under a government grant.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I don't trust you, Dan.

There is unbelievable volatility in the energy market. Of course; that's an effect of inelastic demand.

So unless you can tell me where an ever-increasing supply is going to come from (with growth rate that outpaces demand growth), you're simply proving my point....

Oil might drop to 40$ tomorrow. Or it might go to 100$ tomorrow. But 30$ is long gone, except as the nadir of a downward spike...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Oil might drop to $30 tomorrow. Saying that $30 is long gone is retarded. Period. You have no way of knowing for sure. Just look at the difference between late 1985 prices and mid 1986 prices. In the span of 8 months, the price went from $31 to $11.50. My dad nearly lost his shirt on that one.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Uhh...30$ and 12$?

yeah, what's your point?

Now write 500 words on the difference in the effectiveness of OPEC price targets between 1984 and 2005.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• OPEC doesn't want the price at $65, so their price targets are as ineffective now as they were then.

Comment

• Wrong way around, son.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• OK, the targets were as ineffective then as they are now.

Comment

Working...
                                X