Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terry Gilliam to direct Harry Potter film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Gilliam to direct Harry Potter film?

That's the question. And the answer is, "no." But it's interesting that he was considered. From today's NY Post, via Salon:

"The Brothers Grimm" director Terry Gilliam on what he thinks of his contemporaries: "I was the perfect guy to do 'Harry Potter.' I remember leaving the meeting, getting in my car, and driving for about two hours along Mulholland Drive just so angry. I mean, Chris Columbus' versions are terrible. Just dull. Pedestrian ... I saw 'War of the Worlds' and I thought, Steven Spielberg is a man who makes brilliant scenes but can't make a movie anymore." (Page Six)
    The assessment of Columbus and Spielberg is dead on, but to the point: What would a Gilliam Harry Potter have been like? One thing's for sure: Nearly-Headless Nick would have had more to do, and Peeves wouldn't have been written out. He probably would have gotten Dumbledore right, too.

Discuss!
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

After hearing the travesty that is "The Brothers Grimm", I don't have the same faith in Terry Gilliam that I had before that.

Oh, and one of the things I thought Columbus DID do real well is get Dumbledore exactly right.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      After hearing the travesty that is "The Brothers Grimm", I don't have the same faith in Terry Gilliam that I had before that.

Oh, and one of the things I thought Columbus DID do real well is get Dumbledore exactly right.
      I haven't seen Grimm yet, but his long string of magnificent films allows him the occasional clunker.

As for Dumbledore, I very much disagree; Columbus's Dumbledore was too much the kindly old wise man, with too little of the book's wit, wackiness, and mystery.

In fact, now that I think about it, Gilliam's Baron Munchausen seems more like the book's Dumbledore to me than CC's Dumbledore.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I totally disagree about your assessment. I though the original AD was perfect for the role in all forms and manners. Unfortunetly he's dead and the new one just isn't as good. Even when I was reading HBP I was picturing AD as the one in the first two movies.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          I totally disagree about your assessment. I though the original AD was perfect for the role in all forms and manners. Unfortunetly he's dead and the new one just isn't as good. Even when I was reading HBP I was picturing AD as the one in the first two movies.
          I guess that's one of the joys of reading -- everybody gets to form their own pictures in their heads. To each his own.

Comment

After rereading and rewatching PoA I have to say CC was an absolutely horrible director. Gilliam, I think, would have been fun, since he'd have real material to work with. Hell, he should have done the whole series.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'll add my voice to the chorus of CC sux and Gilliam rox. Even Gilliam's bad films are interesting. I wish that were true of more film makers.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
              X