Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinatown

Whoa!

I just finished watching this movie for maybe the 5th or 6th time, and I have to ask, has a better crime/detective movie ever been made? In fact I'm tempted to drop the genre qualifier and inquire for any better movies that may be out there, period. It just blows me away every time.

For anyone who might not have heard about it or seen it, do so. The sooner the better.

It's a 1974 Roman Polanski film starring Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway and John Huston. Set in the 1930's, it's often classified as a film noir or neo-noir movie, and it's about a private investigator who is hired to investigate an alleged extra-marital affair, but who gradually uncovers an intricate conspiracy around the future water supplies for the city of Los Angeles. Enough said about the story... you should see this movie.

Talk about Chinatown - or other similar movies that you've enjoyed.

Chinatown is one of the greatest films ever made. Period. Every time I see it -- and I try to see it every couple of years -- it rises in my estimation.

I actually envy you, seeing it the first time.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      Chinatown is one of the greatest films ever made. Period. Every time I see it -- and I try to see it every couple of years -- it rises in my estimation.

I actually envy you, seeing it the first time.
      He said it was his fifth or sixth time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear

He said it was his fifth or sixth time.
        My bad. But I still envy him. After all, I didn't just finish watching Chinatown.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Well there's just one remedy for that Rufus!

- Let me explain something to you Walsh. This business requires a certain amount of finesse.

Comment

('Nuff said)
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Never seen it before.

Comment

omfg it has jack nicholson in it I must see it !!!!

I love him

Comment

I love 70s conspiracy films, since they acknowledge that one good man against a conspiracy of evil is just not a fair fight. Night Moves, Three Days of the Condor, Winter Kills, The Parallax View and especially The Conversation are all fantastic, as are their early-80's scifi couterparts, BladeRunner (director's cut) and Brazil. But none of them climb the awesome heights of Chinatown.

Comment

I didn't think Blade Runner was all that good.

Comment

That's because you are a n00b.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I agree about Blade Runner (though I was falling asleep, so maybe that had something to do with it)

Chinatown rulz
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I have it on tape. It is one of my all time favorite movies. The only thing that would have made it better would have been shooting it in black and white. It's hard to do noir right in color, but Chinatown did it (even though it was so bright).
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Chinatown
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

What did you think of the sequel, The Two Jacks? I didn't care for it.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                              X