Harry Potter and British dialects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and British dialects

Anyone here now what the regional dialects spoken by the different characters in the Harry Potter books are? Whos speech is closest to "RP"? Whats Rons dialect? I presume McGonagal is lowland Scotland? Whats with Hagrid?

Note im interested mainly in the books, not the movies, except for Hagrid, where I seem to be under the impression the movies changed it.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

RP is BBC Newscasters English. Pretty much.

The rest, I don't know, cos I don't like the Potter much.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

In the books, only Hagrid and McGonagal have accents much, as I recall. I read McGonagal as educated Edinburgh, Hagrid as Somerset, but his accent in the books is fairly generic "accent".

Ottery St Catchpole (Weasleys and Luna) sounds Oxfordshire/Warwickshire to me, Little Whinging (Harry) is Surrey, Hermione is also fairly home counties, I think. Dean is London, so probably has some kind of cockneyish accent. Seamus has an Irish accent.

Hermione probably has the most RPy accent, although without the 1950s enunciation. The Malfoys and Snape would perhaps be properer if they didn't drawl all the time.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

RP?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Received Pronunciation.

Incidentally, if you wanted to cast members of the Goon Show as Harry Potter characters, I would suggest the following:
          Harry - Neddy Seagoon
          Ron - Eccles
          Neville - Bluebottle
          Hagrid - Major. Bloodknock
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
          X