No announcement yet.

My Hurricane Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Che, when was the last time a blizzard caused $25 billion in damage?

Midwest
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I dunno, but blizzards tend to kill more people in the U.S. than hurricanes. Property or life?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm not sure about that.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Winter is lethal.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
            I'm not sure about that.
            Individual hurricanes may kill more people than individual blizzards, but there are way more blizzards than hurricanes, and they afect a much wider area.

Comment

you felt safe enough not to evacuate?

or was traffic backed up enough to where it would not matter?

CA is the place to be...earthquakes about every 6 yrs
              major quakes even farther apart

only about 10 seconds in duration
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                you felt safe enough not to evacuate?
                We intended to evacuate, seeing as we live only two miles from the ocean (and maybe a mile from the bay). Two things conspired to confound us, however. #1 is the storm came in much sooner than anticipated. It was supposed to hit at 2am, then midnight, then 8pm, and hit around 5:30. Meanwhile, the guys giving us our ride own a hair salon, and for some reason, all the women of Broward county decided that they needed their hair done, and they weren't able to leave until 5:30. Needless to say, it was safer for us to ride out the storm in our apartment than risk our friends lives to come get us. As it was, they nearly got in an accident going home from the salon.

Comment

You can't tell it by looking, but these tiny ass little homes are worth at least a quarter million bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                    Man! I've never experienced crazy weather like that. Why don't you people just move out of florida? it's dangerous there?
                    Says the man from Israel!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      Originally posted by Az
                      Why don't you people just move out of florida? it's dangerous there?

Life is inherently dangerous. There is no place on the Eastern seaboard that is safe from hurricanes. Even the Maritime provinces in Canada have been struck from time to time. Elsewhere in the U.S. has monster tornados, earthquakes, brush fires, blizzards, etc.

Ya Newfoundland gets lashed by a hurricane from time to time but it is almost always fairly weakened by then. PLus construction here is sturdier than much of what I have seen in the south. Add to that a small population on rocky and very hilly soil means that flooding doesn't last long.

Thinking about it, the Maritimes and Newfoundland are some of the safest places to be in North America. The weather sucks but its mainly just rain and cool. Plus its boring as hell but hey, we can't have everything
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        Says the man from Israel!
                        Yeah, Florida really has the historical and religious signifcance of Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
                          Yeah, Florida really has the historical and religious signifcance of Israel.
                          [jk]
                          I'll bet there are more dead Jews here in Florida than in Isreal. [/jk]

Comment

Why aren't those powerlines underground?

Good to know you came through it in one piece.

Oh and dude...wash you feet for christ's sake...
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              Why aren't those powerlines underground?

Would it really make a difference when the trees fall over. Either they rip them up out of the ground or pull them down from the sky. It's also easier to repair and maintain powerlines if they are exposed. I was asking myself the same question the other day though.

Also remember our water table is just below the surface, seeing as we're barely above sea level. I think putting the cables deep enough to avoid accidental severing would cause all kinds of other badness.

Good to know you came through it in one piece.

Thanks, but Katie was a weak storm here.

Oh and dude...wash you feet for christ's sake...

Dude, there was like, deep puddles everywhere and I'd just helped a little old lady clear debris from her yard (for free, even though she offered to pay me twice).

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                                Individual hurricanes may kill more people than individual blizzards, but there are way more blizzards than hurricanes, and they afect a much wider area.

Comment

Working...
                                X