Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's ridiculous.

This patent should be thrown out.

Talk about monopoly action, I mean I generally roll my eyes at the rabid Microsoft hate, but this is outright ridiculous.

If I was the judge, I'd rule something like, "this is a collective culture 'icon' that cannot be owned by one person. PS I PWN N00BS OMG BOOM HEADSHOT ROFL LOL!!1111"
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Oh it is ridiculous and should be thrown out. However I know how these things can go and it'll probably come into force
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Unfortunately, there are massive amounts of idiotic patents granted by the USPTO every year. My pet peeve is the perpetual motion machines - the current favourite variant are devices with total ouput greater than total input.

The US patent law desperately needs an overhaul - a sensible one, that is.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think I'll patent the internet. No wait.. I'll patent life. COME ON EVERYONE, PAY UP! You've been living free all these days... time for me to get what I deserve, everyone, line up and pay for every day you have lived.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            The US patent law desperately needs an overhaul - a sensible one, that is.
            QFT
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

can I patent water?
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Are they trying to patent all smilies or just custom ones that they created for MSN?
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

No... they are trying to patent smilies *transmission*. I'm not too good at reading that stuff but they might also be only trying to patent it for smilies measuring 19x19pixels, I assume so it's not a total monopoly of the concept but means that other messengers wont be able to use the msn smilies*.
                  * and specifically the smilies that msn users create for their own use, since no doubt those butt-ugly msn smilies are already copyrighted.

* Lets try again. They are trying to make it so if someone creates a custom smiley for msn it'll be inconvenient to use it with any other messenger. Since they can't copyright work created by users for "personal" p2p use microsoft instead wants to erect some other artifical barriers to try to "entrap" msn users. M$ is just being lame.
                  Last edited by Blake; August 29, 2005, 02:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                    Hold on, haven't smilies been around for some 20 years?

I think I'll patent the comma... Let's see how they like a cease and desist delivered to them, for unlawfull use of comma!

Frackin' 52 years!!! A bit too late, considering MS wasn't even around then...
                    Patent the letter 'M', then the letter 'W' just out of spite.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Then we just need to quit using MSN. It's not so great that it'll be missed.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

They should patent "Ctrl-alt-del", it is a real step forward compared to prior art
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Patent US6368227

I claim:

1. A method of swinging on a swing, the method comprising the steps of:
                          a) suspending a seat for supporting a user between only two chains that are hung from a tree branch;
                          b) positioning a user on the seat so that the user is facing a direction perpendicular to the tree branch;
                          c) having the user pull alternately on one chain to induce movement of the user and the swing toward one side, and then on the other chain to induce movement of the user and the swing toward the other side; and
                          d) repeating step c) to create side-to-side swinging motion, relative to the user, that is parallel to the tree branch.

2. The method of claim 1, wherein the method is practiced independently by the user to create the side-to-side motion from an initial dead stop.

3. The method of claim 1, wherein the method further comprises the step of:
                          e) inducing a component of forward and back motion into the swinging motion, resulting in a swinging path that is generally shaped as an oval.

4. The method of claim 3, wherein the magnitude of the component of forward and back motion is less than the component of side-to-side motion.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Nice spoof, CO
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                              No... they are trying to patent smilies *transmission*.
                              I don't see how that can work - smilies has been around for decades, and they always have been transmitted the same way.

Originally posted by Blake
                              M$ is just being lame.
                              Microsoft has been on a rampage to secure software patents in the recent years. Their intent is quite clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X