Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astrology Now Official In Brazil

on you, Brazil!

Reader Luiz Duczmal is a member of an amateur astronomy club, the Centro de Estudos Astronômicos de Minas Gerais, in Brazil. I can’t read their internet material, but I’m consumed with envy over their fine instrument, of which I offer a photo here. Luiz notifies us:
    Telescope

Being a fan of your great website, I'm concerned with a piece of news seen last week in my country. Politicians here gave their latest contribution to our apparently inevitable race towards the Middle Ages, regulating the profession of astrologer, according to the official Parliament website (in Portuguese): http://www.camara.gov.br.

The law, authored by Deputy Luiz Sérgio – from the ruling Labor Party, now immersed in a huge national corruption scandal – reads:

After two centuries of ostracism, Astrology…has recovered its symbolic values due to successive large scale scientific research studies that have confirmed, in an irrefutable fashion, the reality of astrological fact…. It is important to instill the correct astrological thinking in Brazilian culture. And the regulation will allow a rigorous inspection of this activity.

The law regulates the jobs done in public agencies [!] and stimulates astrological studies in public schools. It is now being ratified by the Parliament. Brazil has seen steady declining budgets for education, science and technology, and a rampant flourishing of fundamentalism and misinformation.

Luiz doesn’t need to be told that there is ZERO basis for the “confirmation” of astrology claimed in this law. This is most likely only something pushed through the system by a zealous believer who wants to make some political noise, but I agree that on an international scale it makes Brazil look as if it will require goats to be slaughtered at the next opening of Parliament. How embarrassing for Brazilian scientists – particularly astronomers!
    Last edited by Nostromo; August 26, 2005, 17:47.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Astrology Now Official In Brazil

Nancy Reagan sells home in California, contacts movers.

Comment

yay for Brazil, making Kansas look progressive
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Astrology is still less harmful than Creationism.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

No it isn't. Think about it.

In any case, yay for another win for post-modernist "free thinking", and for another loss for modernism. Sometimes you wonder if we'll experience a fall of civilization similar to europe after the empire.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Maddox strikes again.

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Az

No it isn't. Think about it.
                Astrology isn't based on an established religion, so:

1. There is no moral/ethical argument for it
                2. There is no organised effort pushing it
                3. It can be refuted much easier. I have just done that not that long ago. First, I asked her what she knew about the zodiac and horoscope and how the whole schmeal worked. Then I took her to the local planetarium and showed her that, when she was born, the sun wasn't passing through Scorpius.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In any case, yay for another win for post-modernist "free thinking", and for another loss for modernism. Sometimes you wonder if we'll experience a fall of civilization similar to europe after the empire.
                  I couldn't have put it better myself

Brazil
                  Astrology
                  Religious pseudo-science
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Working...
                  X