• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. panel votes to close historic Army hospital

As the headline says, a historic place.

By David Lawder
    30 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A military panel voted on Thursday to close the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, which for nearly a century has treated U.S. presidents and soldiers in the U.S. capital, including
    Iraq-war casualties.

The Base Realignment and Closure Commission voted 8-0 with one abstention to close the Walter Reed campus and combine its operations with the nearby Bethesda Naval Medical Center in Maryland.

The commission approved scores of other
    Pentagoncutbacks, but handed a partial victory to Alaska in the day's final vote, rejecting plans to pull all aircraft out of Eielson Air Force Base near Fairbanks.

The Walter Reed closure will affect 5,630 jobs, with many moving to Bethesda, where a 340-bed hospital will be built, and a new community hospital at Fort Belvoir in northern Virginia. The move will cost nearly $1 billion.

The Washington hospital was established in 1909 and has provided medical care for wounded U.S. soldiers since the First World War. It has treated 4,350 patients from Iraq since the war there began in 2003, including 1,214 battle casualties.

Named for an Army physician who helped cure yellow fever, the facility has also treated U.S. presidents including Harry Truman,
    Ronald Reaganand Dwight Eisenhower, who died there in 1969.

Members of Congress, Winston Churchill, the former Shah of
    Iranand King Hussein of Jordan also received care at Walter Reed.

The nine-member commission, made up of a retired admiral and generals, former congressmen and other ex-government officials, is reviewing Pentagon recommendations for the first round of domestic base closures and cutbacks in a decade.

The plan aims to save tens of billions of dollars over 20 years and modernize the military to face new threats. Many of the actions involve combining noncombat operations of the Army, Navy, Air Force and reserves, such as medical care, supply and logistics and training.

The commission must submit its changes to
    President George W. Bushby September 8. The president and Congress can accept or reject the list but can make no changes.

Among other cuts in the Washington area, the commission approved Defense Department plans to move more than 20,000 jobs from leased office space in the suburbs of northern Virginia to various U.S. military bases, including Virginia's Fort Belvoir and Quantico Marine base.

In San Antonio, the commission voted to close the Wilford Hall Medical Center, shifting its operations to nearby Fort Sam Houston. It also approved the closure of San Antonio's Brooks City Base, which employs 2,923 people, moving its medical and pilot research functions to other Air Force and Army facilities.

In Alaska, the Air Force proposed to move all aircraft and 2,821 jobs out of Eielson, but keep the empty base in a "warm state" for future training exercises. Commissioners said that was impractical and decided to leave 18 F-16 fighters and eight KC-135 tankers at the base, while allowing other planes to move.

STATE OF THE ART

City officials in Washington have argued against the closure of Walter Reed, saying its state-of-the-art care did not need to be replicated a few miles (km) away in Bethesda.

Walter Reed has developed expertise in artificial limbs and in artery and vein repairs. It boasts the Army's only ocularist -- a technician who creates artificial eyeballs.

"This is a place where wounded veterans are brought to recover. There's a real patriotic sense in the neighborhood that we're doing our part in that," said Adrian Fenty, the District of Columbia Council member who represents the area.

He said he would turn his energies to acquiring the 113-acre (45-hectare) property from the federal government and seeing it redeveloped into homes and businesses that could add millions of dollars to local tax revenues.

Commission members said the proposal to combine the Army and Navy medical centers into what would be called the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center was an opportunity to upgrade the medical care provided to servicemen and women with new facilities.

The commission will consider more Air Force closures on Friday, including the closure of Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota's second-largest employer.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Bastards are taking 20,000 jobs away in this whole realignment thing

Governor Warner is screaming bloody murder about it

Comment

but they are just moving everything to bethesda and renaming it walter reed
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

kuci supports bloated government
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Bastards are taking 20,000 jobs away in this whole realignment thing

Governor Warner is screaming bloody murder about it

time for these states to stop counting on the military for jobs. The military needs less bases to be more efficient.

they are trying to close Hawthorne weapons depot in my state. Even that little tiny base they are complaining about. I can care less.

The 2 big boys in my state have virtually no chance of being closed. Nellis Air force Base, and Fallon Naval Air station.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              kuci supports bloated government
              It's bloated government either way. I support bloated government giving jobs to Virginians, not other, lesser people

Comment

Silly conservatives. Want to cut government spending but cry bloody murder when the Pentagon wants to close military bases that the Pentagon considers superfluous.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Warner is a Democrat

Comment

He's a more of conservative Democrat .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Never mind
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        Silly conservatives. Want to cut government spending but cry bloody murder when the Pentagon wants to close military bases that the Pentagon considers superfluous.
                        But how does this save any money? Sounds more like they're just relocating facilities and personnel. Bethesda's an impressive facility, but I'll bet it's going to require a major expansion to absorb Walter Reed. They're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Now that's the government I know and love!
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

According to WaPo, people (like Warner) are claiming Rummy and Co are doing it because of personal real estate interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                            But how does this save any money? Sounds more like they're just relocating facilities and personnel. Bethesda's an impressive facility, but I'll bet it's going to require a major expansion to absorb Walter Reed. They're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Now that's the government I know and love!
                            I think the ultimate goal is to reduce personnel and wasteful facilities. They have to deal with those they have now, but I think it'd be a slow draining down of that personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I think the ultimate goal is to reduce personnel and wasteful facilities. They have to deal with those they have now, but I think it'd be a slow draining down of that personnel.
                              Well, that's certainly what we need in the middle of a war without any end in sight: a slow draining down of those who take care of the wounded.

I want Rummy to go to Walter Reed in person and announce that plan to the blinded and maimed.

Comment

Working...
                              X