No announcement yet.

Boycott 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Belgian police fight robberies, murders, or thefts? I guess not - not everyone wants that. Especially not the robbers, murderers and thieves.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

You know, in the early 90s I would've probably agreed with you -- remember how giving PRC a most favoured nation trade status was going to slowly turn them into a democratic, non-corrupt, non-militaristic country with respect for human rights? They haven't made any progress at all, on the contrary actually (consider, f.e. hard-line leader Hu Jintao and their quickly increasing naval budget).

EDIT:
      IMHO, We need to sharply increase economic pressure on China - a bit of shock treatment if you will - it will decrease stability in the area, but it's the only way I can think of (ok, short of war and a puppet goverment) how we could get the corrupt communists out of power and turn China into a democratic (or at least more democratic) nation.
      well im not an economic determinist of the Higher Per cap GDP = Democracy school (though higher per cap GDP certainly helps, all other things being equal). But I dont think isolating them would help either.

Also, we need to be realistic. We've got a lot on the plate with China. Most notably we want them show restrain wrt Taiwan, and we want help in resolving the North Korea situation. There seems to have been some progress recently in the Korea talks, which almost certainly means the PRC has been cooperative, and the rhetoric on Taiwan has been toned down the last few months. Id certainly like to see us try to keep a positive tone on relations with the PRC, even while we take steps to improve our global diplomatic position to insure against a worsening in PRC behavior.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Spot on LOTM. It's kind of hard to "shock China" when we want them to do so much. And we run the risk of China saying screw this nice stuff and ratcheting up the rhetoric on Taiwan and telling North Korea to forget about the Americans. It could be a total disaster to disengage.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sports and politics shouldn't mix, I'm watching 'em in 2008!

Comment

Tell that to the Zimbabweans...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Why should he care about what the Zimbabweans think?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                Tell that to the Zimbabweans...
                Cricket isn't a sport, it's a gentlemans pass time!

The Games are held every four years and most athletes are only in their prime for one Olympic games. I don't think they should be deprived of the chance to compete just to make a political point. It the same principle (only totally different) with watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Why should he care about what the Zimbabweans think?
                  And you call me clueless...

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Why do you think the PRC and Russia are holding joint military exercises?

The amusing thing is, while Taiwan exercises are about counter amphibious attacks, the Sino-Russian exercises are about amphibious attacks (backed by strategic bombers no less.)
                    The Russians are going to help China invade Taiwan.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

But at least the US has lots and lots of aircraft carriers...

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                        Sports are boring, boycott sports!!!
                        QFT!
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                          Frankly, I'm amazed that the word *** is censored. How thorough.

Oh and
                          Ted Striker
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Yes, let´s boycott China! Their kids are getting fat, their fingers are not good for making shoes anymore
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                              And you call me clueless...
                              Frankly, that's because you are
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X