Japan outdoes Korea in silliness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan outdoes Korea in silliness

Japan is considering building a lighthouse at a pair of Pacific Ocean outcroppings at the center of a territorial dispute with China, a coast guard official said Thursday.

The lighthouse is needed "to guarantee the safety of ships" passing by Okinotorishima islets, said Takatoshi Nagasaki, an official with the Japanese coast guard's media section.
    Japan claims the Okinotorishima outcroppings -- heavily fortified by cement embankments -- are islands that enable it to extend its exclusive economic zone far into the Pacific.

Yomiuri said the coast guard will ask for 30 million yen in its budget request for fiscal 2006 ending March 2007 to build the lighthouse.

China says Okinotorishima is only a couple of rocks, not islands governed by rules of sovereignty. The land therefore can't be used by Japan to extend its economic zone and prevent Beijing from exploiting the natural resources in the surrounding Pacific Ocean area, Beijing says.
    link

Nice islands we have here.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Mods trolling
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Bosh thought Korea had it bad when he saw the strange ad in a theater.

Then again, maybe he's right. Those rocks are utterly worthless. These rocks aren't - at least they can be used to screw other countries.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Damn, those are even smaller than Dokdo. Now in the defense of Korea's strangeness this was just one step in a long series of things such as people setting themselves on fire, people chopping their fingers off, months of hacker wars, constant newspaper headlines, Korean poodles being stationed on the islands to ward off evil spirits, special Dokdo triangle sushi made to raise money to defend the islands, korean online computer games that involve defend dokdo adventures or involve attacking monkeys with Koizomi's face etc. etc. The ad just took the whole things to a new surreal level.

The Japanese are being smarter about things, they're going after a definate commercial advantage not chopping their fingers off and screaming about their territorial integrity being threatened.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

You list all those other things, and the ad brought things to a new surreal level!?
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
            You list all those other things, and the ad brought things to a new surreal level!?
            Hey that was a damn strange ad, you have to see it to believe it. There were giant robots
            Always as wierd as the Renys ads back home...
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Still better than Marden's though, right?

edit: Woah, Marden's has a web site!
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

hmmmmm

then there was the classic "come on down neighbor, we've got the sharpest pencils in town"

but of course all pales before Bob's Stores ads in CT...
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Maybe the japanese officials have played too much CtP2 and
                  see the Lighthouse as some kind of watchtower,
                  which extends the Civilizations borders with a radius of 2 tiles
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Damn, at least on the Falklands, there was something to stand on
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

the falklands are bloody massive...
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
                        but of course all pales before Bob's Stores ads in CT...
                        I don't know...This is why you don't have an intro to 3D modeling class do your ads for you. (No, I wasn't in that class.)

Sorry. Continue with your thread about rocks now.

Comment

Admittedly the isles look very small, but the distance from which the picture is made could be deceiving us.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Thanks to such small islands like this, Japan can control more ocean, with its fish and other resources. Fighting over small islands is not always dumb.
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

They want to build a lighthouse to improve the safety of ships?

I saw a piece on TV a few days ago about the UK proposing to close some lighthouses because they are redundant with ships having radar and GPS.

Definitely sounds like a BS excuse to grab a bigger economic zone. Like Rockall.
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X