The PRC vs. Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzzyKP
    Oy, I bet all the anti-video game and child protectionist nuts here in this country are gonna start thinking these damn Chinese are onto something. I could totally picture something like this being done in this country. They'd just impose an age restriction on it to avoid any messy legality issues. No more than 3 hours of consecutive playing if you are under 18.
    QOTM and I monitor POTM's computer time, and I think we'd have an issue with more than 3 hours straight doing most anything on the PC, whether its games or online, though we're more inclined to be lenient on email and IM, since we like we support her "bonding" with her friends. But we dont need the state to help out. And shes rather young to hang out at internet cafes, which never really hit it big here.

Interesting that they seem to limit this to MMOG's not other forms of gaming.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Interesting that they seem to limit this to MMOG's not other forms of gaming.

Go to www.purepwnage.com and watch the 6th and 7th episodes.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

(...) pitfalls of the one child policy in regards to family relations (...) children miss the immensely stimulating impact of sibling relations. There is much more to this than a simple disparity in genders.
        There is an interesting shift taking place in the language related to this.

With family hierarchy so important, there are many words in Chinese to precisely describe the relationships between family members. For example, I believe there are six words for "cousin".

But recently locals have taken to abandoning all the cousin terms, and now routinely refer to their cousins as "brother" or "sister" -- even introducing them that way to outsiders.

It looks to some degree like cousins (for those who have them) are filling the social void of siblings. I often encounter teenage cousins hanging out together. It is so common that whenever a young person introduces a "sibling", I automatically ask if they have the same parents (they seldom do).
        Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

#4 is a matter of NBC's broadcasting, not the Olympics themselves.
          fair enough
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

You get a lot of spoiled brats who've never cooked their own meal in Seoul too but having adults stand up to make room for teenagers If they tried to pull that **** here they wouldn't last a second, nobody does that to the dread ajummas (middle-aged married women).
            While moms will sometimes stand for teens on the subway, for children anyone will stand - even adult strangers. And in China, that's saying something. People here seldom give up seats to anyone, in fact they will race to beat others to a seat (even adult men rushing past women). But the two consistant exceptions are made for children and pregnant women, who are always immediately offered a seat. Old woman with heavy bags? Forget it. Ten year old kid? Here, take my seat! On the subway you can vividly see how important children are here.

It seems like that, while China has a lot of good sides, EVERY SINGE ONE of my pet peeves of about Korea exists in a bizarrely-concentrated form in China. In many ways Korea is a pretty good mid-way point between Chinese and Japanese culture...
            BTW, you probably know Korean culture is definitely gaining in popularity here. Film, tv, pop stars, restaurants - Korea is the perfect substitute as things Japanese lose a bit of their "coolness".

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

Why make your bed, if it's just going to get messed up again?
              Heh-heh, I was going to suggest you probably had an ayi or two, then I recalled that I hadn't made my own bed today.

Comment

Working...
              X