What makes humanity special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes humanity special?

Saw the topic popping up in another thread, but want to bring it up here. Discuss.

What makes humanity special? Why exactly are we any "better" or "superior" than any other animal? Are there exceptions?

I'm of the sentience crowd: That sentience makes us special, rather than any particular form of "soul." There's no need to think of something mystical like that when we already have something special which sets us apart from others - our ability to be self-aware and have our environment adapt toward us, rather than vice-versa.

Of course, this would also mean that newborn babies themselves wouldn't be considered "human" (because they arn't fully sentient yet) and that if there were other sentient species, they would be on the same philosophical grounds, and be our equals. (Jokes of Dolphins/Mice aside, please )

What do you think?
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

what makes humanity special?
    our ability to post silly questions on internet forums, of course.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

We aren't special. There are bacteria that I consider more special than most of humanity.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

And you had me stop drinking my green tea for reading this
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

humans aren't special...

but we think we are...
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: What makes humanity special?

We are mankind. Ergo, we're special in our own eyes.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
              We aren't special. There are bacteria that I consider more special than most of humanity.
              Wow so every time I take an antibiotic, do I commit a genocide?
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

btw Krill´s avatar
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I never said that I consider the bacteria themselves to be particulary important, either...
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

well i can go on and explain it in like a big book full of fancy words but that will take forever to make and read but to make it a little bit easier. what makes humanity special? well....er...hmz...well basically....ME...

ok now we can close the thread and be done with it because we all have the answer now...
                    Bunnies!
                    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

nuclear weapons
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

souls

which I think every sentient being has.. and I don't think can naturally be divorced from a body

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: What makes humanity special?

Specialness is a value judgement. Only humans can make value judgements. Thus, humans are what make humans special.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm waiting for any other species to argue in their own favor. If none come forward by noon tomorrow then humanity wins by default.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Homer
                              Plato
                              Socrates
                              Bach
                              Mozart
                              Hugo
                              DaVinci
                              Hendrix
                              Jagger and Richards
                              and so on and so forth
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X