Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US wireless customers: Please explain something to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US wireless customers: Please explain something to me...

According to everything I've read so far (like, for instance, the webpage the FCC maintains on this subject) there is no reason, per the Telecommunications Act of 1996 - Local Number Portability (LNP), that I cannot transfer my 10-digit cell number from my existing local prepaid plan (former AT&T Wireless Free-2-Go) to another local prepaid (whatever Cingular calls their's; they bought out AT&T Wireless a year ago). The only exceptions the FCC mentions is 1) the porting be done in the "same general metropolitan area" (I'm porting from Reno, Nevada and I'm porting to ... Reno, Nevada ... gee, I seem to be in the "same general metropolitan area") and 2) companies meeting the May 24th deadline to comply ... 2 years ago I believe. Some were granted an extension (per the FCC, no companies applied for one in the state of Nevada) of the deadline. No other exceptions were mentioned. I was told today at a Cingular kiosk at the local mall that if I wanted to switch plans I would have to get a new phone (duh, you stupid little bimbo, that's what I told you I wanted to do ) and I would lose my cellphone number.

Erm, you want to tell the FCC that?

Out of annoyance, I checked some online wireless sites. Cingular's section on LNP wouldn't tell me if my number was portable or not; just said they couldn't do it online > I have to go to a Cingular store. Verizon was more helpful. They had a little field where you enter you 10-digit number and it checks if they can port it. They can. Cricket's website had no mention of LNP I could find. Virgin Mobile also proved somewhat unhelpful, though their map shows coverage of my area so it should port.

Do any of you, my fellow USians, have a clearer understanding of LNP? Is she right or full of ****? All I want to do is A) keep my 10-digit cell number, B) get a new cellphone (currently I have the Nokia 5165 that came in the AT&T Wireless Free-2-Go prepaid package ... yeah, I want a newer cellphone), and C) continue using whatever prepaid plan, as long as it is a PREPAID plan, not a pay-as-you-go (though, I may waiver on this) or an actual monthly billing agreement (not a chance). And seeing as Cingular bought out AT&T Wireless, I fail to see why they'd have any *cough* hang-ups *cough* about this. Is it just that, because I'm a former AT&T Wireless customer, they don't want to keep me as a customer and would rather I transfer my wireless number to some other company, like say Verizon Wireless who seem to think my number will transfer to their service just fine?
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

(though, I may waiver on this)

Is this intended to be waiver or waver?[/serious question]

Comment

According to one online dictionary, both words seem to have close enough definitions to apply, but I think I meant waiver with an I.

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed your sig. Tassi, come home.

Comment

Why don't you tell the Cingular person that Verizon will let you port your number over, and if she can't do it, you'll have to go to Verizon. That may work some wonders.

Or forget the kiosk and just go to an actual Cingular store. I find people at stores are more knowledgable than those at kiosks (generally).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Never trust people getting paid min wage to care about your problems and try to help fix them. While the law is on your side, it doesn't say the companies have to be helpful. It's a pain in the butt for them to do this, so they try to discourage people.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yeah, you probably want to see a manager, or someone else who stands to get direct economic benefit from you using their company over another.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Yep.. depends on the kiosk, but some kiosk folk really don't give a damn and are doing as little as possible to get their paycheck. Some, OTOH, can be very good and very helpful.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I'm getting the general sense that she was full of ****. I was planning to go the the Cingular store near me later this week. Verizon, unfortunately, is a pay as you go not prepaid. Also, my mom bought my stepdad a prepaid plan and during her research rejected Cingular's offering, though she can't remember why. *sigh* We'll see what comes of this, thanks all.

Comment

Tell the Cingular people what the kiosk person said when they convert your number over. It'll be great fun.

Comment

No.

She's working a mall kiosk. I don't want to make her life even more meaningless and degrading.

Comment

America's barbaric cell phone practices and methods

Let the rest of us know when you get out of the cave.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                      X