Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APOLYTON! I need *ALOT* of recreational books, recommend me lots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColdWizard
    I enjoy Anne Mccaffrey's Pern series. Basically a series where the descendants of the original colonists attempt to defend themselves from a non-sentient space organism, amongst other issues.
    the original (or first three or something) were pretty decent...

I quit reading at a point, and tried one or so later ones to see if they got better, but still they sucked

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You know, colleges and universities not only have libraries, they have access to other libraries as well.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If you like Brin (Startide Risiing may be my all time favorite) then you might try Vernor Vinge A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. If you visit a used book store, almost anything by H. Beam Piper, and Eric Frank Russel's satires - Wasp and The Space Willies. Enjoy.
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Vinge

He's one of the best (if not the best) space opera authors out there. His earlier work isn't too hot, but the books shawn mentioned are dramatic, intelligent, funny and exhilirating. The guy really knows how to create a fascinating universe.
          mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

"Jennifer Government" by Max Barry. It's a satirical near-future novel about runaway capitalism that involves Nike declaring war on the US government.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I second Jennifer Government. Interesting book, very funny, quick read.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Stuff by Alan Garner - Red Shift being one of his best.

Rosmary Sutcliff - a good author of historic fiction

Ursual la Guin - wizard of earthsea series

Henry Treece - lots of atmospheric historic fiction

(I always found the two genres went well together, SF+HF?)

the book 'Catch 22' if you havent yet.
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

You want the "Honor Harrington" series by David Weber.

Start with On Basilisk Station
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                  X