Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protectionism

Chinese bras wing their way on to EU shelves
    By Elizabeth Rigby in London, Clare MacCarthy in Copenhagen and Paivi Munter in Stockholm
    Published: August 22 2005 20:21 | Last updated: August 22 2005 20:21

eu chinaFor Claus Walther Jensen, getting his hands on bras for Christmas is one of the most important aspects of running Change, a Danish lingerie chain.

That is why the director went so far as to borrow a helicopter on Monday morning to secure one of the last European Union import licences for bras.

“We had 45,000 panties in Christmas colours but their 45,000 matching bras were trapped in a warehouse,” said a relieved Mr Walther Jensen after his helicopter dash.

“Other companies are suffering. I’ve got my goods in but I don’t want to win market share this way.”

Thanks to Mr Walther Jensen’s imaginative approach, Change will be stocking matching lingerie this year.

But with the import quota for bras coming into the EU from China now exhausted - last night the stockpile of bras had already hit more than 1m - other retailers have got a problem on their hands.

“The packages under the Christmas trees this year won’t contain clothes,” said Poul Lauersen, chief financial officer of Bestseller, Denmark’s largest textiles group, which is short knitwear, blouses, tops and trousers.

“The shops won’t be empty but we are missing much of our autumn range,” said Mr Lauersen.

Across the EU, retailers are scrambling to find alternative places to source goods as the crisis over import from China deepens. Trousers, pullovers, bras, blouses, T-shirts and silk have now all exceeded the quota limits agreed by the EU and China in June.

Pär Darj, head of investor relations at Hennes Mauritz, the Swedish-based clothes retailer that sources about 30 per cent of its products from China, said: “In the short-term we are shifting some production of pullovers and trousers to Bangladesh, India and Cambodia.” A big UK retailer that asked not be named said it was doing the same thing. “More production is going to India. I think it will be the new China. This problem will get sorted. But there will be a delay in getting products on to shelves,” said the retail executive.

As the stockpile of clothes at EU custom points hit nearly 76m items, retailers are pushing harder than ever for a speedy resolution to the crisis. The large European retailers – Metro, Carrefour and H&M – are quick to point out that they can easily switch sourcing and so are less hard hit by the dispute than the smaller players with less scale and sourcing infrastructure.

Lindex, the Swedish-based market leader in underwear and children’s wear that made SKr5.3bn (€565m, £380m, $690m) in sales in 2005, said its early decision not to add to production in China – it sources about 60 per cent of product from Asia, the greater part from China – had paid off.

“We already have licences for all the products coming out of China,” said Ulrika Danielsson, head of communications at Lindex.

“Our customers won’t notice any impact. We will get all the products that we have ordered.”

But with the stockpile still growing at an alarming rate and no solution in sight, many retailers are unlikely to be feeling so sanguine.
    And why all this mess? Because some dying industry cried that a 20 years transition period wasn't enough to prepare itself for Chinese imports.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

I for one support the move that will make women NOT wearing bras
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

No amount of preparation would be enough to contend with Chinese textiles, they have an overwhelming absolute advantage in the area, and you need to make a decision about whether or not you want to have a native textile industry or not.

Comment

until the advent of robot workers in light manufacturing, that is.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Was that a dyeing industry? You might call this an attempted thread-jack.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

All threadjacks require an appropriate punishment, wouldn't you agree?
            B♭3

Comment

I just figured I'd skirt the issue.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I guess I'm just supposed to button it.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                  until the advent of robot workers in light manufacturing, that is.
                  Their advantage goes a bit further then merely cheap labor.

Comment

On the surface, the idea that European women will have to go braless (and perhaps pantyless) seems titillating. But then, reality kicks in and you realize that for most women, it is far better that they do wear bras (and panties).
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      Or shirts

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
                        No amount of preparation would be enough to contend with Chinese textiles, they have an overwhelming absolute advantage in the area, and you need to make a decision about whether or not you want to have a native textile industry or not.
                        A country either backs free trade or not, but can't support free trade only when it suits its interests.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          Nah - uplift is uplifting!

Anyway - there are too many China threads!

Comment

?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az

?
                              The government also helps out quite a bit with land,fuel, and other items.

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              A country either backs free trade or not, but can't support free trade only when it suits its interests.
                              which is one of the reasons I don't support free trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X