Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woot! America's Navy #1 !

Anchor's Aweigh, *****es

Man, how sad is it when the US has Double the carriers as the rest of the world combined?

USA! USA! USA!
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Congratulations on your recent accendancy to number one. You really snuck up on the rest of the world over the last few years, haven't you?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I just think it's a cool chart.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

twice as many targets as the rest of the world

yeah I say that even though I served on an aircraft carrier. . But it's true. We were a target. The thing is, not too many nations have a submarine force good enough to sink one.

Comment

and that list is including amphibs Those aren't real carriers

Yes I served on an amphib too. And I knew we weren't a real carrier. I was perfectly okay with that. I hated carriers. I served on an LPH class (that class no longer exists)- which was a helicopter carrier. We had limited harrier capability and did not have any harriers permanently stationed onboard.

Comment

this was my baby.

actually I hated it it, but I still have a little bit of loyalty to it I suppose.

Comment

I'm shocked by the fact that China is supposedly building a carrier ... why the f* would they want to do that? Japan and Taiwan/ROC are well within land attack range ... and we're the only nation they'd ever realistically want to fight that a carrier would help them against- and at the moment the concept of that happening is just too funny. They'd be better off with SSMs given our naval abilities ... and India would probably be too hard to get to and too dangerous of waters to risk, given they can use Tibet (unless India gets frisky and takes it away first) ...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Woot! America's Navy #1 !

Originally posted by Lonestar
                Man, how sad is it when the US has Double the carriers as the rest of the world combined?
                Britian had a ****load of dreadnoughts in 1920 - how useful where they over the next 30 years?

The aircraft carrier is as useful today as Battleships where in the 1920's (i.e. obsolete, but almost no-one has really realized this yet)
                19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Re: Re: Woot! America's Navy #1 !

Originally posted by el freako

Britian had a ****load of dreadnoughts in 1920 - how useful where they over the next 30 years?

The aircraft carrier is as useful today as Battleships where in the 1920's (i.e. obsolete, but almost no-one has really realized this yet)
                  Well sort of--- The power of the carrier is its ability to kill planes and ships BEFORE said planes and ships get in range to kill it. In a non-nuclear exchange, I believe they still have reasonable survivability if they don't get overconfident close to land and are in a diplomatic position to kill everything that appears threatening.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The power of the carrier is its ability to kill planes and ships BEFORE said planes and ships get in range to kill it.

Planes? How does the carrier have the power to kill planes?
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Well, being an aircraft carrier...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        Well, being an aircraft carrier...
                        Kuci,

he was just being deliberately obtuse. next thing he will question a tank's ability to kill another tank since after all it is the armor piercing shell that actually kills said other tank
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                          and that list is including amphibs Those aren't real carriers
                          Except they can carry more aircraft than many of the so-called "aircraft carriers" such winners as Spain, Italy, Thailand, and the UK operate.

Comment

Kuci,

he was just being deliberately obtuse. next thing he will question a tank's ability to kill another tank since after all it is the armor piercing shell that actually kills said other tank

Yeah, well, that would work, but not for a country with any meaningful airforce. It would be a really really bad idea to get in the range of land based airpower, and that range has a funny tendency to grow with tankers, etc.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

That's why there is a multistep invasion policy.

1. lob missiles at air defenses
                              2. send planes to take out the other guys planes
                              3. drop bombs on tanks
                              4. send in tanks to roll over enemy troops
                              5. get involved in endless urban warfare against irregulars
                              Visit First Cultural Industries
                              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X