John G. Roberts Hates Michael Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John G. Roberts Hates Michael Jackson

Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr.'s legal philosophy may be shrouded in ambiguity, but when it comes to the King of Pop, Roberts shows no judicial restraint whatsoever.

Tucked in the thousands of pages of documents released yesterday from Roberts's time in the Reagan White House is a collection of memos by the young lawyer about efforts by Michael Jackson's publicists to get presidential flattery for the Gloved One. Without exception, future judge Roberts voted to overturn.

Michael Jackson waves to supporters in June. Two decades earlier, John G. Roberts Jr. repeatedly urged his White House bosses not to issue a presidential letter praising the singer.
    Michael Jackson waves to supporters in June. Two decades earlier, John G. Roberts Jr. repeatedly urged his White House bosses not to issue a presidential letter praising the singer. (By Gene Blevins -- Reuters)
    Campaign for the Supreme Court

* Updates From The Post's Fred Barbash

Supreme Court

* Sifting Old, New Writings For Roberts's Philosophy
    * In 1980s, Roberts Criticized The Court He Hopes to Join
    * Roberts's Hand in Home Rule
    * If the Senators Laugh, It Was a Joke
    * Roberts Resisted Women's Rights

More Stories

"The office of presidential correspondence is not yet an adjunct of Michael Jackson's PR firm," Roberts wrote in a memo to his boss on June 22, 1984, opposing a request by the singer's publicist for a presidential letter praising the star's work against drunken driving.

In opposing the wishes of Jackson, Roberts acknowledged that he was a voice in the wilderness -- but being a future Supreme Court nominee, he used the Latin. "I recognize that I am something of a vox clamans in terris in this area," he wrote, "but enough is enough."

It was two decades before Jackson's celebrated legal troubles, but the prescient Roberts wanted to be startin' somethin'. A separate memo denying the request, drafted by Roberts for Fred F. Fielding, the White House counsel, says: "I see no need to have the president send a letter to Mr. Jackson, simply because Mr. Jackson's public relations firm has requested one."

That was Roberts's rap, and Jackson couldn't beat it. Three months later, Jackson's personal manager made a new request, this one for a letter from Ronald Reagan to Jackson thanking the singer for performing in Washington and for providing 400 tickets for "needy youngsters."

The request came to the attention of Roberts, who wrote on Sept. 21 to Fielding: "I hate to sound like one of Mr. Jackson's records, constantly repeating the same refrain, but I recommend that we not approve this letter. . . . Frankly, I find the obsequious attitude of some members of the White House staff toward Mr. Jackson's attendants, and the fawning posture they would have the president of the United States adopt, more than a little embarrassing."

The memo Roberts drafted for Fielding denying the request went further. "The visit of the tour to Washington was not an eleemosynary gesture," Robert wrote, using a fancy word for "charitable." "It was a calculated commercial decision that does not warrant gratitude from our nation's chief executive." Besides, he wrote, Bruce Springsteen got no presidential letter after his tour.

Even back then, young Roberts was thinking about precedent. "In today's Post there were already reports that some youngsters were turning away from Mr. Jackson in favor of a newcomer who goes by the name 'Prince,' and is apparently planning a Washington concert," he wrote to Fielding. "Will he receive a presidential letter?"

-- Dana Milbank

"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

In opposing the wishes of Jackson, Roberts acknowledged that he was a voice in the wilderness -- but being a future Supreme Court nominee, he used the Latin. "I recognize that I am something of a vox clamans in terris in this area," he wrote, "but enough is enough."
    What a dork!
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

What a dork!
      I think Supreme Court Justices are dorks by definition.

With the exception of Scalia, maybe. He's hip.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Jaguar, get on AIM.

Comment

AIM is teh suck
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

but it is working right now

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
              AIM is teh suck
              QFT
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

old news, I already mentioned this in the roberts hates women thread.

but everyone ignored my post

Comment

Just like this one apparently.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

So he thinks wako shouldn't be indulged- good judgement in my book
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

agreed
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Maybe Jackson will have better luck influencing the higher-ups in Bahrain, or where it is he's headed.

Comment

that's actually a good idea Winston...

you know how the LAPD takes gang members and drops them off in rival gang territories so they get pwned? that's what we should do to jacko... kidnap him and drop him off in Islamabad or Tehran...

see if he makes it out alive

but you know what would happen?

Jacko would become the new prophet and lead the Islamic world into a golden age

but it will only last 20 years

then we can drop settlers in the open areas and slowly take the land!
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

No, it's just that I read somewhere he's thinking of moving to Bahrain, and possibly converting to Islam.

Personally, I think it's just a feint towards his real goal of becoming a Catholic and maybe get into the priesthood.

Comment

he already bought a house in Bahrain. He's there now. I don't think he's living there permanently, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X