Minor League Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor League Baseball

While I was in Iowa me and some friends went to an Iowa Cubs game and had a great time. We ended up getting free tickets right behind home plate and it was the most fun I have had in a while watching sports. The Iowa Cubs lost by one but it was an exciting game. The park was really nice for AAA ball and the fans seemed to be into the game a lot. Anyone here watch minor league ball?
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

I haven't been to a game in a long time, but I remember the Columbus Clippers (AAA, Yankees) games fondly. The club is owned by the city of Columbus, and is going to be building a smallish ballpark downtown next to the arena, as I understand.

Nowadays, it's sort of feast or famine in my area of Washington, D.C. Before we got the Nationals, the closest team was the AA Bowie Baysox, but it was too far out of the city to go see a game casually. I think Manassas also has a A ball club, but don't know too much about them. I wouldn't trade the Nationals for a minor league club -- since Washington isn't a minor league town -- but the minor leagues seem to have more comradery than the major leagues.

My sister lives in New Orleans with her husband, whose brother goes to New Orleans Zephyr games now and then. The Zephyrs are the Nationals' AAA franchise.
    Last edited by DanS; August 19, 2005, 18:33.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

From what I saw of AAA ball it's really great. There has been a AA team around here but I haven't seen a game since I was a kid. The city of North Little Rock just voted in a sales tax to build a new park.
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Minor league ball is quite popular. They say that some 40 or 50 million people attend every year versus MLB's 75 million or so. This doesn't surprise me. I guess it's less expensive entertainment than MLB? Going to major league games is an expensive hobby. Hardly a night I walk out of the stadium when my wallet's not $50 lighter per person.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Back in Jersey, we had the Lakewood Blue Claws Single-A affiliate for the Phillies. Great stadium and wonderful atmosphere. Great place to catch a game
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Back in Jersey, we had the Lakewood Blue Claws Single-A affiliate for the Phillies. Great stadium and wonderful atmosphere. Great place to catch a game
            The stadium in Des Moines for the Iowa Cubs was great to. I think going to more would get me back into baseball. Great place to take the kids.

Comment

Working...
            X