What Kind of Music Do You Listen To?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind of Music Do You Listen To?

Curious as to how my collection of MP3s broke down by genre I decided to seperate them all out and write down how much of each. Then I made a geeky graph and decided to show it off to everyone. how does your music breakdown look like?

This is just the stuff in my main music mix folder. I've got other sub folders with cover songs, and comedy, and theme songs and such, but this is just the main stuff I regularly listen to.

Catholic 14
    Other 21
    Blues 26
    Country 33
    Classical 68
    Punk 69
    Pop 69
    Rap & R&B 82
    Oldies 106
    Indie & Emo 115
    Alternative & Other Rock 178
    Classic Rock 316
    Metal 354

How about you?
    Attached Files
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Mostly rock and metal of varous stripes. Some electronic stuff, a little pop and classical.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

We want graphs

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Doing a slice diagramme of my music folder would be unrepresentative, since I don't listen to all the stuff in it, but sure, I grow sufficiently bored ...
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Yay! Isn't boredom great?

Comment

Progressive rock, other rock, classical and some pop.

Should prog-rock be count as classical rock?
            what's the boarderline between rock and pop?
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

Its tough. I had to make some tough choices when I was putting my stuff in categories. So my breakdown is rough. Do your best I guess.

For example my "metal" category includes stuff like Warrant & Poison and stuff like Metallica & Iron Maiden and stuff like Limp Bizkit and Staind.

Comment

alternative Hip-hop (Mos Def, Saul Williams)
                alternative(cure, smiths)
                alternative rock (sublime, nirvana)
                alternative soul/r&b (erykah badu, balaal)
                Classic Rock (Rolling Stones, Beatles)
                Classic Soul (Aretha Franklin, martha and the vandellas, mary wells)
                What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Double major in Classic Rock and Blues, with electives in Jazz and Country.

Sorry. No graphs.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

wouldn't even attempt a % break down of songs/genres in my collection, i've got nearly 200 hours of music on my pc, plus a couple of hundred CDs. anyway genres i listen to, roughly in order of the amount i own.

trance
                    progressive (house, trance and 'prog' and absolutly not prog rock )
                    indie rock
                    techno
                    'electronica' (i would include 'chillout' in this)
                    electro (includes industrial)
                    house
                    drum 'n' bass
                    hip-hip/rap/grime
                    punk rock
                    breaks
                    jazz

edit: how could i forget industrial and hip-hop
                    Last edited by C0ckney; August 18, 2005, 16:02.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

what do you mean "catholic"?

my cd collection is heavily on the alternative rawk side with representatives of rebetika, artfuls, folklore/poerty musicalized, left wing gypsie music (dont ask) cretan mandinades and some dance tracks

Comment

catholic

edit: offensive joke removed (but it can still be seen quoted further down )
                        Last edited by Dis; August 18, 2005, 17:39.

Comment

How did you do that pretty little pie chart? It looks like too much work for me.

I classify my music (using the edit tag feature in musicmatch jukebox) kind of weirdly. Other people might classify my music differently.

hair bands I call glam metal. I then have categories of metal, speed metal, death metal, black metal, nu metal, glam metal, rap, punk, grunge, blues, jazz, classic rock, hard rock, rock, pop, industrial, latin, classical, folk, oldies, country, electronic, r&b, alternative, reggae, comedy, and christmas music.

Those are all the genres I listen too. I have no idea about the percentages.

edit: I forgot a few genres, I had to load musicmatch to check them.
                          Last edited by Dis; August 18, 2005, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            catholic

Is that music about raping little boys? I think Tools song: Prison Sex can qualify as catholic
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                              Its tough. I had to make some tough choices when I was putting my stuff in categories. So my breakdown is rough. Do your best I guess.

For example my "metal" category includes stuff like Warrant & Poison and stuff like Metallica & Iron Maiden and stuff like Limp Bizkit and Staind.
                              sacrilige!! you associate Metallica with Warrant. That is totally unacceptable

Comment

Working...
                              X