No announcement yet.

Sparteling News: A Man Scans Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the later stories are pretty much true in the large scheme of things. The earlier ones are probably myths.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Some Graphs

1) This one shows the rise for the 5,500 BC (7,500 bp) flooding of the Black Sea
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Az
        Well, the later stories are pretty much true in the large scheme of things. The earlier ones are probably myths.
        Obviously the earlier ones are myths. But it's interesting to see how the actual monotheistic culture was created.
        Last edited by Bill3000; August 19, 2005, 03:09.
        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

This one shows the rise in sea level rise since the ice maximum
          Attached Files

Comment

And this one shows the cyclical nature of climate change
            Attached Files

Comment

Heck, the old testmament does not deny the existance of other gods
              "Let Us make man in our image"

Then there's God discussing the sin of Adam and Eve with his colleagues who appear out of nowhere.

These references have been glossed over by many who believe the Bible as "angels" but that is not what the text says.

Comment

Obviously the earlier ones are myths. But it's interesting to see how the actual monotheistic culture was created. IIRC, YHWH was originally one of many polytheistic gods, of which YHWH was the god of war - The Isrealites chose that as their monotheistic god, and thus the violent nature of god in the old testAment. Heck, the old testmament does not deny the existance of other gods - it seems to be more akin to that you should worship YHWH.

Of course I may be totally wrong since I havn't looked up on it in a while.

Nononononono.

Do some reading on this. This is definetly not the case. Old Testament God is canaanite El, the father, "Zeus", the cult of which propably originated as an antithesis to the cult of Baal, his son, who some probably believed was given all too much credit. YHWH seems to be the later incorporation of all Canaanite top divinities, the father, the son, the mother, and Baal' sisters Lilith and Ashera (IIRC)
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

I have no clue where I got that from.

Have any links? I would like to read up on this.
                  "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

The secret of the location of Atlantis is in what I term 'the writing of the crop circles' which the super-chip the aliens implanted in my brain during my childhood abduction event is allowing me to decipher and which will be available in my upcoming hardcover book for only $39.95 plus shipping and handleing.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

http://www.pantheon.org is a good place to start reading on jewish mythology. Here are some links on the issue of jewish and canaanite mythology, and the origins of judaism from Canaanite polytheism ( fascinating stuff that reignited my love for ancient history)

Google also for Canaanite mythology, Hadad, and others for more stuff.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Meh. At least I know where I got the idea.

The tribe of the Levites, with whom Moses was associated, was another matter altogether. They worshiped a thundering, fierce god, whose location was either Mount Horeb, or Mount Sinai. Very likely the two mountains are one and the same -- there is no proof either way. Was this god the same Yahweh, the God of Abraham? Very possibly. If not, the two entities, Yahweh of Abraham and the warrior god of the Levites were combined into one impressive entity that Moses, very likely a full-blooded Levite himself, had adopted as his own God. That is proven by the fact that later, only the Levites acted as priests toYahweh in the various Temples.
                        This entire article satifices a bit of my hunger here: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/y/yahweh.html
                        Last edited by Bill3000; August 19, 2005, 03:57.

Comment

Dude, this is deep enough in history to be considered a theological debate, no more. There is no actual proof of the events on mount Sinai, after all. This is the mythology site, after all.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                            There is a place of the west coast of wales that has long been the source of an atlantis type myth. When the tide is low it exposes the roots of a petrified forest and there are tales of people hearing bells tolling from under the sea. It also features in the mabinogion texts(old welsh tales written down in the early middle ages).

Borth. Been there to visit a friend who was studying at Aberystwyth.

You get the same thing in Mounts Bay in Penzance too.

Lost land of Lyonesse and all that. Probably accounts for Celtic legends of Hy Breasil.

More than five hundred Neolithic and Bronze Age sites above the present high water line have been excavated in the Isles of Scilly. With another thirty or so only accessible at the lowest tides, excavations of these have only been possible for short periods at low water. Normally submerged sites that have been excavated include: ten hut circles, seven cists and graves, four field wall enclosures and twelve other occupational sites and partial exposures in eroding cliffs. How many more are permanently submerged and waiting for underwater archaeologists? There are many field walls and hut circles to be seen at the lowest tide when it is still possible to walk from Samson to Bryher and from Bryher to Tresco.

I always recommend the Penwith peninsula and the Scilly Isles to anyone considering visiting the U.K. . They're like a country apart, and a definite must see for anyone with an interest in history.
                            Attached Files
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

While looking up Borth, I had a tough time I finally found a wiki mentions the roots, says Borth and Ynyslas are the best places to see this. It also has pictures

Comment

no it doesnt
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X