No announcement yet.

Sparteling News: A Man Scans Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just accept the story as told and rely on Plato?

Because maybe that's all it is, a story? Anyhow, wasn't Atlantis supposed to be beneath the ice of Antarctica nowadays?
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
      And St. Brendan's legend also is connected to this myth. Furthermore, there is a cartographic tradition that even reaches into the 19th century that shows the island of "Brazil" west of Ireland. The whole idea of a paradisical island west of Ireland reaches back to Celtic mythology.
      yes very true(if myths can be talked about in such a way ).
      Its also in the lord of the rings as the place the elves go to when its become 'the time of man' in middle earth.
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
        Why not just accept the story as told and rely on Plato?

Because maybe that's all it is, a story? Anyhow, wasn't Atlantis supposed to be beneath the ice of Antarctica nowadays?
        Did you know that the Piri Reis map of ~1520 or something shows exactly the coast line of Antarctica without the ice? This proves that he had access to documents from 10.000BCE!!!
        What a shame that the authors of that conspiration even forgot to take into account how the coast line would be if the ice of Antarctica filled the oceans

Neuschwabenland and the Reichsflugscheibe!
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

plato is looking down on us laughing at what morons we are arguing about this garbage
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

a world without myths is a world without passion. You obviously dont have to believe them(like you would say need to believe in god to be a christian), but they do add some nice 'colour' to the story that is us.
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

what a bunch of garbage
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

a world without myths is a world without passion. You obviously dont have to believe them(like you would say need to believe in god to be a christian), but they do add some nice 'colour' to the story that is us.

The real history of the world is so colourful, beautiful and interesting, I really don't know where are you coming from.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

@ Az just as i said - i like the myths of all the nations of the world(Greek/Roman/Native Amercian/Papuan/British etc). I think a world without the Illiad or Homer(Simpson too while i think of it- a modern american 'myth'), no Achilles, no Finn MacCool. Plus 'real' history goes back how far? not that far in all areas of the world where stuff was happening before writting became cool. So another usefull part of myth.

A hollow world imho. The real world is fine, but its the story that often inspires. Myths have a place - no need to be so down on them Sava they aren't threating you by their existence

Comment

Neuschwabenland and the Reichsflugscheibe!

Is this about a 1930's sci-fi movie I don't know nothing about?? The Germans invented the flying saucer in early 1918 but were too late to win the war with it? The mad scientist who invented it went into hiding and...
                    Once again...

Comment

hrmfff... you used to have such greater looking avatars Hueij.... what's up with the fat thighs chick? boo! change it

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder
                        hrmfff... you used to have such greater looking avatars Hueij.... what's up with the fat thighs chick? boo! change it
                        Huh? This is not a "fat thighs chick". This is the Enoch Bolles' painting for the March 1938 cover of Film Fun. Barbarian
                        Once again...

Comment

So if one was to follow the story, wouldn't one... ahem...follow the story? Why start replacing details of the story with theories that conflict with Plato/Solon/Egyptuan priests.

It would be interesting to see what the Atlantic sea level was 12-10,000 BC and how much water if any was pouring thru the straits of Gibralter. The Mediterranean has shrunk quite a bit before during ice ages as a landbridge connects Spain and Africa or reduces the flow of water. The same flood generated by the Mediterranean breaching the Bosphorous Strait might have occured a few hundred or thousand years before as sea levels rose with the melting ice pouring into the Mediterranean. If people were living near sea level at Gibralter they would have been flooded too. Hell, people all around the Mediterranean. I'll google this, kinda got me curious...

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                            @ Az just as i said - i like the myths of all the nations of the world(Greek/Roman/Native Amercian/Papuan/British etc). I think a world without the Illiad or Homer(Simpson too while i think of it- a modern american 'myth'), no Achilles, no Finn MacCool. Plus 'real' history goes back how far? not that far in all areas of the world where stuff was happening before writting became cool. So another usefull part of myth.

A hollow world imho. The real world is fine, but its the story that often inspires. Myths have a place - no need to be so down on them Sava they aren't threating you by their existence
                            I can just tell you what I think about the ancient history of my people, and let me just say that in all probability, the story of the old testament, even with all of it's wonders, is far less interesting and amazing than how the real story emerges: It has Religious strife, the mixing of several tribal and nationalidentities, the creation of great systems of government and faith, Orgies , and much more - place all of this in the bronze age, and you'll get just how amazing all of this was - It kicks the **** out of the "TEH AMAZING BEARDED LADY" kind of stuff that goes in the bible, which is nothing substantially more than physical magic.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Cant find anything on a Gibralter flood for the period in question. Maybe a landbridge blocking the strait goes further back in geologic time with plate shifts, but I'm sure I read pygmy elephants on Malta were a result of the Mediterranean drying up. I suppose run off into the Mediterranean from the northern ice sheet filled it up high enough to break thru to form the Black Sea in more recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by Az

I can just tell you what I think about the ancient history of my people, and let me just say that in all probability, the story of the old testament, even with all of it's wonders, is far less interesting and amazing than how the real story emerges: It has Religious strife, the mixing of several tribal and nationalidentities, the creation of great systems of government and faith, Orgies , and much more - place all of this in the bronze age, and you'll get just how amazing all of this was - It kicks the **** out of the "TEH AMAZING BEARDED LADY" kind of stuff that goes in the bible, which is nothing substantially more than physical magic.
                                agreed. The real jewish/isrealite history is far more interesting than the one portrayed in the Torah/Bible, especially IMO the histories that show how the religion developed.
                                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X