Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just enrolled on a basic Dutch course...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just enrolled on a basic Dutch course...

...at my university. Has anyone else here studied Dutch as a foreign language? What kind of difficulties should I expect (taking into account that I already know German)? How would you characterize the differences between Dutch, Flemish and Afrikaans?

different vocabulary

btw. Flemish is not a seperate language, it is just a bunch of dialects
    veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

If you already know English and German, you should find Dutch easy. Whatever Swedish you recall from school might prove useful too.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

You are het w00t!

Comment

My gf is learning dutch atm, as some of my extended family aren't great at english. Written she's probably at a similar level as an A=level student in french/german after 6 months, speaking maybe GCSE as she's not very confident in it yes. She does mix in a lot of german, but she described dutch as german for english people.

Comment

Uitstekend, met genoeg Nederlandssprekenden kunnen we zorgen voor een wederopleving van de Hollandithreadi

Comment

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Why bother? From what I heard, the Dutch will not use their language with you if they know that you can use English - many Dutch speak English well and they cannot stand hearing a foreigner mangling up their precious language.

Nevertheless, go for it - it's always excellent learning a new language.
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yes they do, just starting French to them...see how quickly they will let you speak duth.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Most important if you want to understand Flemish:

jij bent (Dutch) = ge zijt (Flemish)
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                      Uitstekend, met genoeg Nederlandssprekenden kunnen we zorgen voor een wederopleving van de Hollandithreadi
                      Het Finns will crush you before you even have a chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X