Why does this town suck so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The town sucks because God hates you.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Re: Why does this town suck so bad?

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      In the last neighbourhood I was living there was a botched burglary turned murder 40 feet from my doorstep. Then there was another murder 2 blocks from my house (both victims were Hopkins undergrads)

Then two days before I moved there was a murder (would have been a double but they managed to save one of the victims) on the street 2 blocks from my new house on a Thursday night at 10 pm (which means that the street was full of people, given the preponderance of bars around here)

Tonight I looked outside and saw 3 police cars at a house across the street from mine dusting for fingerprints etc. in what appeared to be a burglary investigation

Either your city leaders are corrupt or incompetent. Probably just a kleptocracy. The attitude from the top flows down to the police. There's really no excuse, given how good the economy has been for a decade.

Washington is being cleaned up. Competent and incorruptible mayor. A city council with a majority that is keen to do business. The city used to have as many murders as Baltimore, but is much lower nowadays.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Homicide: Life On The Street was the best network TV show, ever.

Baltimore, however, makes Detroit look like Shangri-La. A couple of my friends went to Hopkins for med school or nursing school... they had a number of experiences similar to yours.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

My relatives live in a farm south of Baltimore. It's along the patuxant river. Crime is almost non existant out in the middle of no where. For the longest time they never locked their doors. But recently they've had problems with homeless entering homes, so they do lock their doors now I believe.
          Wow-- I've never experienced homelss "in the middle of nowhere"-- heck in Calgary they don't even come out to the suburbs as it is too far to walk to a liquor store or methadone clinic plus all the shelters and good outdoor places to hunker down are in the downtown.

Is rural homelessness common? I grew up in a very small and pretty poor town but EVERYONE had a roof over their head
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

And I thought Hull was bad
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sadly, Baltimore is better off than it was 8-10 years ago. O'Malley has had a herculean task of cleaning up the 16 years of mess left to him by Kurt Schmoke, one of history's most corrupt politicians.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

i have no use for baltimore... nuke it for all i care
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You should visit the Bay Cafe on Boston street next time you're in town, lotm (during any reasonably warm day)

Don't know about the food in the restaurant section, but there's a "beach" bar there that has to be seen to be believed (facing the water)

Unbelievable. Palm trees, sand, tiki torches.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                    Sadly, Baltimore is better off than it was 8-10 years ago. O'Malley has had a herculean task of cleaning up the 16 years of mess left to him by Kurt Schmoke, one of history's most corrupt politicians.
                    Yup.

O'Malley seems like a nice enough fellow, but I get the feeling that he's an ant trying to move a mountain.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      You should visit the Bay Cafe on Boston street next time you're in town, lotm (during any reasonably warm day)

Don't know about the food in the restaurant section, but there's a "beach" bar there that has to be seen to be believed (facing the water)

Unbelievable. Palm trees, sand, tiki torches.

I was there when the bay cafe opened. I even attended a protest meeting of Tindeco renters and Canton cove owners about the noise (which was reduced, a little) ive eaten there many times - its pricey for the food, but it was an easy place to take an infant, and we didnt have to get in the car. I met the owner, and heard the story about his trip to the West Indies that inspired the palm trees.

Before they put in the beach bar, that was nice little garden.

They also used to deliver food to your chair, at the Tindeco pool.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                        Is rural homelessness common? I grew up in a very small and pretty poor town but EVERYONE had a roof over their head
                        Seeing you're in Canada, maybe you have the same effect as we have; that homeless out of big cities with underground and the like tend to freeze in death in winter.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Seeing you're in Canada, maybe you have the same effect as we have; that homeless out of big cities with underground and the like tend to freeze in death in winter.
                          Well true-- a homeless person in the countyside would die without some shelter. But we don't have such deaths in rural areas.

As I said, I don't think there are very many rural homeless at all. Maybe its because housing is cheaper and more available so they get provided a roof
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I was there when the bay cafe opened. I even attended a protest meeting of Tindeco renters and Canton cove owners about the noise (which was reduced, a little) ive eaten there many times - its pricey for the food, but it was an easy place to take an infant, and we didnt have to get in the car. I met the owner, and heard the story about his trip to the West Indies that inspired the palm trees.

Before they put in the beach bar, that was nice little garden.

They also used to deliver food to your chair, at the Tindeco pool.
                            Nice.

EDIT: Knew where Tindeco was, but was unsure if Bay Cafe had opened before you moved
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I was completely unimpressed by Baltimore when driving through it last month. It looked like the South Side of Chicago.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                                At least you could get good weed when Mayor Schmoke ran Baltimore.
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X