No announcement yet.

Lost in Translation II - totally lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sounds like i'll have to dig up the pocket LaRousse when it gets to me.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Sent
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Gangerolf

Cybershy, I need your translation so that I can put them all up afterwards...

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy
          I thought you were a native dutch person?
          not at all

Originally posted by Gangerolf
          non-fluently: czech, dutch

I had a Belgian girlfriend once. I also have some Dutch friends. So I can understand a decent amount, but I can't really speak much and I don't know anything about spelling and grammar and stuff like that except that you guys use a lot of double vowels.

Also, Dutch seems to me like it's 50% German, 20% English, 20% Scandinavian and 10% something else. That makes it somewhat easier for me, but again, seeing as my German isn't too good and there were some expressions in there I didn't really understand, a lot of guesswork was required.
          CSPA

Comment

• So now you've ruined it completely!

Comment

• nah don't worry

I'm good at guessing. Sometimes. Wait and see.
              CSPA

Comment

• Actually Gangerolf's translation had a kind of beauty, I haven't seen before. It's surely one of the greatest german poems ever written.

Comment

• Comment

• see?
                    CSPA

Comment

• Even more interesting, my French obviously sucks even more than I thought so my translation of Gangerolf's poem is also more wild guessing than anything else
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• My french sucks even more, so I can't say. we have to wait for Flandrien's expertise!
                        Btw, Flandrien, you are the first to translate back to english again. If possible try to make it rhyme!

On a sidenote, I hope we can finish this before Monday, because I'll probably be off to hiking in the mountains until Tuesday or so.

Comment

• Received from Flandrien, Krill do your worst best

Comment

• PM sent to Krill + Atuahulpha

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                            Even more interesting, my French obviously sucks even more than I thought ...
                            Good,
                            that keeps you from using those fancy french words that I don't know myself.

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                            .. Flandrien's expertise!
                            Ahem, I haven't spoken french any more in over ten years.

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                            If possible try to make it rhyme!
                            Sorry, I did not see that possible.
                            veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

• Don't worry, it's going along very nicely... I am totally pleased with the path so far (giggle)

Btw, you are belgian (or dutch living in belgium) but do not speak french?

Comment

• Nope, I live up north, close to the Dutch border.
                                veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Working...
                                X