Australian Customs

On this page:
    Meeting people and communicating
    Clothing
    Polite behaviour
    Common Australian expressions
    Australian celebrations and holidays
    Invitations

This page is part of the Life in Australia Basic Facts about Australia pages,
    See: Basic facts about Australia – index to Facts about Australian history, government, law and society.

Australia is a tolerant society with people from many different cultures. Although Australia has a large range of customs, each individual is encouraged to maintain and share their cultural beliefs and practices, within the framework of Australian law, while at the same time, respecting the right of others to do the same.

To adapt to life in the Australian community, it is important to be aware of some common customs.

Meeting people and communicating
    When meeting someone for the first time, it is usual to shake the person's right hand with your right hand. People who do not know each other generally do not kiss or hug when meeting.

Many Australians look at the eyes of the people they are talking with, and consider this to be a sign of respect, and an indication that they are listening.

When meeting a new person, Australians are not comfortable asking, or being asked questions relating to their age, marital status or financial position.

Unless you have been introduced to someone by their first name, or asked to call them by their first name, it is common to address a new acquaintance using their title and family name (eg. Mr Jones, Mrs Citizen, Ms Smith, Dr Richards). In the workplace and among friends, most Australians tend to be informal and call each other by their first names.

Clothing
    Australia is a diverse society. The variety of clothing which people wear reflects this diversity. There are no laws or rules on clothing, although there are requirements to wear certain clothing for work situations. These include safety boots and hard hats at construction sites or uniforms for police, military or other corporations.

Most workplaces have certain dress standards. Outside of the work situation, clothing is an individual choice. Many people dress for comfort or according to the social situation and/or weather. Many Australians tend to dress casually and informally. Clubs, movie theatres and other places may require patrons to be in neat, clean clothing and appropriate footwear (not thongs or flip flops).

Many Australians live close to the beach and the sea. This has led to a tradition of wearing very casual or little clothing on the beach and surrounding areas, particularly on hot days. This does not mean that people who are dressed to go to the beach or swimming are prostitutes or inviting others to touch them. Uninvited touching is unacceptable, regardless of what clothes people are wearing. People are protected under the law from physical assault.

Many Australians of different backgrounds also choose to wear their traditional dress which may be religious or customary including monks' robe, burqa, hijab (headscarf) and turban. As a tolerant society with people from many different cultures, clothing is a part of cultural beliefs and practices that is encouraged. Many newly arrived migrants also choose not to wear traditional dress.

Polite behaviour
    "Please" and "thank you" are words which are very helpful when dealing with other people, and buying goods or services. When asked if you would like something, like a cup of tea, it is polite to say "yes, please", or just "please" if you would like it, or "no, thank you" if you do not. When you receive something or have been helped, it is polite to thank the person by saying "thank you".

Australians tend to think that people who do not say "please" or "thank you" are being rude. Using these words will help in building a good relationship.

Sometimes a sensitive issue may come up in conversation. Not to talk may seem rude. It is more polite to say "sorry, it is too hard to explain" than to ignore a question.

You will usually be excused for misunderstandings which might occur. Making an effort, however, will be appreciated.

Australians usually say "excuse me" to get someone's attention and "sorry" when we accidentally bump into someone. Australians also say "excuse me" or "pardon me" when we burp or belch in public or someone's home.

You should always try to be on time for meetings and other appointments. If you realise you are going to be late, try to contact the person to let them know. This is very important for professional appointments as you could be charged money for being late or if you miss the appointment without letting the person know in advance. A person who is always late may be considered to be unreliable.

Most Australians blow their noses into handkerchiefs or tissues, not onto the pavement. This is also true for spitting. Many people will also say "bless you" when you sneeze - this phrase has no religious intent.

It is important to know that some behaviour is not only impolite, but also against the law. Examples include swearing in public, pushing in front of people in a line (queue), and urinating or defecating anywhere except in a public or private toilet.

Common Australian expressions
    Many common Australian expressions or slang (sometimes called colloquialisms) may seem strange to people new to Australia. Slang words originate from many different sources. Some are Indigenous words. Many started during Australia's early European settlement, or during the two world wars. Some words are shortened versions of longer words. Many were expressions already used by migrants who came from the north of England.

If you are unsure what an expression means, it is acceptable to ask the person who said it. Australians are happy to explain. Some common expressions are:

bring a plate - when you are invited to a party and asked to "bring a plate", this means to bring a dish of food to share with your host and other guests. The food can be brought to the party in any type of dish, not just a plate, and it is usually cooked. This is common for communal gatherings such as for school, work or a club. If you are unsure what to bring, you can ask the host.
    BYO - when you are invited to a party and told to "BYO", this means "bring your own" drink. If you do not drink alcohol, it is acceptable to bring juice, soft drink or soda, or water. Some restaurants are BYO. You can bring your own wine to these, although there is usually a charge for providing and cleaning glasses called "corkage".
    arvo - afternoon. "Drop by this arvo" means please come and visit this afternoon.
    fortnight - two weeks. Every fortnight is every two weeks. Many Australians are paid fortnightly by their employer.
    barbeque, BBQ, barbie - outdoor cooking, usually of meat over a grill or hotplate using gas or coals. The meat is usually served with salads and bread rolls. It is common for a guest, when invited to a BBQ, to ask if they should bring anything.
    snag - sausages. Usually the raw type cooked at a BBQ. These can be made of pork, beef or chicken.
    chook - chicken.
    cuppa - a cup of tea or coffee. "Drop by this arvo for a cuppa" means please come and visit this afternoon for a cup of tea or coffee. An invitation to tea, on the other hand, could also mean a dinner invitation (see Invitations below).
    loo or dunny - toilet. If you are a guest in someone's house for the first time, it is usually polite to ask permission to use their toilet. "May I use your toilet please?" Some people ask "Where's the loo?".
    fair dinkum - honest, the truth. It can also be used as a question "fair dinkum?" meaning "is it really true?".
    to be crook - to be sick or ill.
    flat out - really busy.
    shout - to buy someone a drink. At a bar or a pub (publican's house ) when a group of friends meet, it is usual for each person to "shout a round", meaning buy everybody a drink. Each person takes a turn at buying a "round". It is also acceptable to say that you do not drink (alcohol) by saying that you are a "teetotaler". This also means you are not obliged to shout.
    bloke - a man. Sometimes if you ask for help, you may be told to "see that bloke over there".
    How ya goin? - or 'How are you going?' means how are you, or how do you do? It does NOT mean what form of transport you are taking. Sometimes it can sound like "ow-ya-goin-mate".
    For more Australian expressions or slang
    See: Macquarie Dictionary Book of Slang

Australian celebrations and holidays
    While Australia is now multicultural, from the time of European settlement it adopted predominantly Christian traditions. Like many other western countries, Christmas and Easter are major public and national holidays.

Christmas (Culture and recreation portal)
    Easter (Culture and recreation portal)
    Public holidays
    Most Australian states and territories observe the public and national holidays. Some also have additional public holidays during the year such as Labor Day and the Queen's Birthday. Offices and banks are usually closed on public holidays.

In larger cities, most shops, restaurants and public transport continue to operate. In smaller towns, most businesses including shops and restaurants are closed.

Unique Australian holidays
    There are also a number of specific holidays/celebrations which are uniquely Australian.

Australia Day - January 26, is the biggest day of celebration in Australia and is Australia's National Day and a public holiday. The day marks the founding of the first European settlement in Australia. The day is marked by flag raising and citizenship ceremonies. Some members of the Indigenous communities mark the day as a day of mourning, or of the survival of Indigenous culture.
    See: Australia Day (National Australia Day Council)

Anzac Day - April 25, commemorates the day the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps landed at Gallipoli in Turkey in 1915. The day is a public holiday and is marked by remembrance, wreath laying and military parades. The day is also remembered as part of the beginning of Australia's nationhood.
    See: Anzac Day (Culture and recreation portal)

Melbourne Cup Day - held on the first Tuesday of November, is a world famous horse race. Most Australians whether at work, school or home, stop and watch the race on television. It is a public holiday in metropolitan Melbourne. Elsewhere in Australia and mainly in the workplace, many people have a lunch to celebrate Melbourne Cup.
    See: Melbourne Cup Day (Culture and recreation portal)

Other days celebrating Australia
    There are also a number of other commemorative activities which are not public holidays to celebrate Australia.
    See: Commemorative days (The department’s Multicultural Australia Information Kit - PDF file 164KB)

Australian Citizenship Day - September 17, celebrates the importance of Australian Citizenship. First marked in 2001, this annual event is celebrated with special citizenship and affirmation ceremonies.
    See: Citizenship Day

Harmony Day - March 21, celebrates Australia's commitment to racial respect and community harmony. The date coincides with the United Nation's International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. Events are held throughout Australia to celebrate and foster harmony within communities.
    See: Harmony Day

AIDOC Week - commences on the second Sunday in July as a day of remembrance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and heritage. NAIDOC Week is the outcome of a long history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander efforts to bring issues of concern to the attention of governments and the general public. NAIDOC - National Aboriginal and Islanders' Day Observance Committee is now used widely to refer to all the events and celebrations that go on during National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Week.
    See: NAIDOC Week (ATSIC)

Other celebrations in Australia
    Australians also love to celebrate many other occasions. More and more Australians are also adopting other festivities such as Chinese New Year which is not a public holiday.
    See: Chinese New Year (Culture and recreation portal)

Invitations
    It is usual to respond to an invitation to lunch, dinner, barbeque, party, wedding, birthday, or any type of occasion. In Australia, the midday meal is called lunch, and the evening meal is usually called dinner. Many Australians however, also refer to the evening meal as tea. If invited for tea, the time of the event is a good sign of whether your host means dinner or just a cup of tea. An invitation to tea, where you are expected to arrive anytime after 6pm (1800 hours) usually means dinner.

Invitations can be written or spoken. Written invitations usually ask for RSVP - which is repondez s'il vous plait, in French meaning please reply. You should reply whether you accept or not. The invitation will tell you how to reply and if the reply is expected before a certain date.

Australian hosts are also specific about how many people are invited. If your whole family has been invited, you should tell your host how many people will go. Usually a family only includes the parents and their children.

Australians can be sensitive when someone cannot accept their invitation. The best way to refuse is to say "thank you, unfortunately I/we have other plans at that time". To say that you are too busy may seem extremely rude, even if it is true.

Once you have accepted an invitation, you should only cancel if a situation arises where you cannot go. You should also explain the reason to your host. Cancelling because you received a better invitation from somewhere else can appear extremely rude, and can affect newly formed friendships.

Sometimes it is best not to accept an invitation right away and to ask your host whether they would mind if you check your plans and reply to them later.

When accepting an invitation to a meal, it is also usual to tell the host what you cannot eat. It is perfectly acceptable to say that you are a vegetarian and cannot eat meat, or that you are Muslim or Jewish and cannot eat pork.

It is also not polite to arrive late. Australians appreciate a telephone call to explain that you are going to be late.

See:
    Basic facts about Australia – index to Facts about Australian history, government, law and society.
    Life in Australia – Homepage
    Home Affairs brings together Australia's federal law enforcement, national and transport security, criminal justice, emergency management, multicultural affairs, settlement services and immigration and border-related functions, working together to keep Australia safe.

So now you know
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Australian Customs
    The people who wouldn't let us off the ship when we visited Townsville unless our shoes were clean of foriegn dirt?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Bold the important/funny parts if you actually want me to read some of it.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Isn't advertising here against the rules?
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
          Bold the important/funny parts if you actually want me to read some of it.
          Obviously I don't know which parts are funny to foreigners.

Some of it is clearly aimed at people from particular regions - important to let em know defecating in the street is frowned upon and you can't push in a line.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

"Australian Customs and Culture, Chapter Two: Relationships

Index:
            Sheep - pgs 1-172

(C) 2005 the Australian Ministry for Sheep ********"
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

no that's NZ

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

The people who wouldn't let us off the ship when we visited Townsville unless our shoes were clean of foriegn dirt?
                In all fairness, they're desperately trying to protect their native ecology. Foreign soil still contains bacteria and such that could conceivable wreak havoc.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

thats what we tell you anyway

Comment

Which culture doesn't look people in the eyes when they are talking to them?
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

In many Asian cultures it can be quite rude, especially if you are inferior in age or status.

Comment

Hmmm...I can see that.

Japanese is the first one that comes to mind.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X