The case against ID....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case against ID....

I've been following the discussion about ID lately.
    Simplified the discussion goes like this:

IDer: the cell is to complex to have become what it is through random mutations.

NoDesigner: There's no complexity that can't come through random mutation if there's natural selection and a lot of time.

IDer: Perhaps that counts for single mutations, though the cell is that complex that the entire functionality will be totally gone if one of the parts would be missing.

NoDesigner: All parts could have mutated through different evolution paths where in the end all paths 'come together' and result in the cell as we currently know it.

IDer: But if one of the parts of the cell, as we currently know it, would be different, there wouldn't be a cell at all. So all different parts of the cell must have mutated at the same new incarnation of the cell because all individual mutations wouldn't make sence without the whole.

NoDesigner: Different parts of the cell could have alternative functionalities before they started to do what they currently do. So all single mutations weren't useless since they got a job that did improve the 'old' structure eventhough they didn't do the job they're currently doing and which is totally dependant to the other processes and structures in our current cell.

ie. the current word is: apolyton. Take any of the letters away, and there's no word at all and the entire structure of letters is worthless.

Though take away the y and make the words:
    pal
    toon
    both words make sence, and as soon the 'y' has mutated (ie. from the 'u' which makes sence as a single word agani) all letters can start to form apolyton (not as if that's a good english word though )

ok, so far I understand the reasoning.
    Mostly there the discussion ends. (I'm already impressed if the discussion comes that far since most of the time the AntiDesigners start to flame and insult much earlier in the debate and don't start to reason at all but just refuse to counter any ID-argument, but sometimes a more reasonable AntiIDer comes that far, which is really respected by me :! You go guys!

Now comes my question:
    CyberShy: What makes all parts fall in the right position at the right time? Isn't the change for such a thing not really really small? If not impossible?
    I can see how all parts could evoluve apart from each other. But 'falling into the right position' appears to be something that must happen at the same time again.

Perhaps they don't need to mutate at the same incarnation, but they do need to start to perform their needed functionality as a 'joint venture' though.

What makes 'toon' and 'pal' suddenly start to form 'apolyton' together with 'y'?

Even if all functionalities / parts of the cell could mutate at random in seperated processes, the change that all processes would be combined at the perfect right time still appear to be as impossible to me as all processes to mutate at the same incarnation.

Please shine some light for me on this subject!

Oh, and please keep the childish "IDers are pseudo scientists" or "IDers are retarted" or "Creationists are stupid" or "CyberShy you must be a total ignorant stupid monkey" one liners out of here.

I think it's time for rational modern people to stop yelling at the person who comes with the question / theory and start to counter the theories / arguments themselves.

Really, believe me. That yelling is really not better then the roman catholic church did at Galileo in the middle ages: "We refuse to you listen to your arguments, the sun orbits the earth because the bible says so and if think not you're a heathen and we will burn you and cut your head off"

Thanks for rational responses in advance though

CyberShy

Ps. please no cut and paste answers, I've typed out my question as well
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Do you have any smoke left?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh, I thought this was about the Ausweiss we are supposed to carry with us. I only have one-liners about "Intelligent" Design, sorry...
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Why should reasonable people bother arguing with crackpots?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          That's why no one talks to you anymore.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

If you want a serious explanation of these issues, I'd suggest you look at the literature instead of asking at a forum stuffed with crackpots.

Failing that, learn the joys of Usenet and post your questions at talk.origins.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

ID is simply another "god in the gaps" argument. It is entirely negative as it consists simply of attacks on evolution. There is no ID hypothesis on how species appear, let alone a theory. As a result there is no need to build any case against it.

Wake me up when ID'ers has put together something similar to a hypothesis which explains all the evidence we have.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

ie. the current word is: apolyton. Take any of the letters away, and there's no word at all and the entire structure of letters is worthless.
                This analogy is hideously flawed, but if I said 'polyton', 'apolyto' or 'apolytn', the word would still be comprehensible.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Yeah, I know, we shouldn't.
                  But I try to do it nevertheless. Call it the christian mercy

@Urban Ranger: you didn't read my post at all, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman

This analogy is hideously flawed, but if I said 'polyton', 'apolyto' or 'apolytn', the word would still be comprehensible.
                    Don't focus on the analogy. Focus on the issue and use the analogy to explain it.

Heuij: I only have one-liners about "Intelligent" Design, sorry...
                    That's no problem, most people have no intelligent responses to serious issues like evolution and ID anyway, you're just another person who loves it to be a part of the mass

Last Conformist: If you want a serious explanation of these issues, I'd suggest you look at the literature instead of asking at a forum stuffed with crackpots.

Failing that, learn the joys of Usenet and post your questions at talk.origins.
                    I know, just want to see if we can get to a good old poly discussion, like we used to have in the old days before everything overhere became totally black/white and people like Urban Ranger knew how to come with arguments.

In fact I thought people like Urban Ranger actually would be able to answer my question. To bad I'm wrong, perhaps my expections are too heigh.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy

Yeah, I know, we shouldn't.
                      But I try to do it nevertheless. Call it the christian mercy

@Urban Ranger: you didn't read my post at all, did you?
                      Gee, I didn't know you were going to say that.

It's okay, though. We have a hundred years of peer-reviewed scholarly journals and you have...Pat Robertson? Jerry Falwell?

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I also don't argue with:

Flat Earthers
                        UFO nuts
                        People who send me spam claiming "photon hypothesis disproven"
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

what's photon hypothesis, and how was it disproven?
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

The idea that light comes in quantised packets called photons with energy hbar * omega

It's not disproven. To discover why this person who sent the spam to me thought it was disproven would involve me having to read their crap
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Physics and evolutionary biology both seem to draw the crackpots out of the woodwork

Luckily the physics crackpots don't tend to also have badly hidden religious agendas as motivation for their "theories"...
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X