The 60th Anniversary of Japanese Surrender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 60th Anniversary of Japanese Surrender

This is a special day indeed. On this day sixty years ago the Japanese formally accepted unconditional surrender, ending the largest war ever known to Man by beating back the fascist invaders.

We should never forget the heroic efforts of each and every person who was involved. Without their sacrifices we probably won't be here today. We should also never forget the staggering number of victims of fascists, a great many were murdered systemically, in inhuman killing sprees, or used as guinea pigs in nightmarish experiments.

Therefore it is deeply disturbing to see that, in stark contrast to Germany, Japan cannot come to face its own terrible past in history 60 years after WWII ended. The whitewashing of history in textbooks continues; many Japanese political heavyweights, including current cabinet members and former prime minister continues to pay homage to war criminals; and that Japanese courts continue to rule against civil tort cases against the Japanese government and Japanese corporations.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

troll thread

Comment

How about celebrate the end of the war, not the surrender of the other side?

And when it comes to heroic sacrifices, I'm thinking the Imperial Japanese Army/Navy/Airforce beats any of the other combatants hands down.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I preferred Kassi's thread.

Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Don't know why, but this thread seems to have some bias that Kassi's lacked.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

and a typo in the thread title

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                I preferred Kassi's thread.

Then he should have started his thread first...

And I'm surprised UR didn't correct his own typo in the thread title...

The 60th Anniversary of Japanese Surrencer
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What's a surrencer?

Oh, and the Japanese surrender

The division of Korea thereafter
                  B♭3

Comment

Emperor Hirohito not being hanged :
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

And when it comes to heroic sacrifices, I'm thinking the Imperial Japanese Army/Navy/Airforce beats any of the other combatants hands down.

Heroic/brave is risking oneself to do good. I don't think it counts.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Bravery has nothing to do with good or evil. I'm with you on the heroism part, though.
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

What if they believed they sacrificed themselves to do good? Defending the emperor/homeland, helping the Asian countries develope under Japanese rule etc. Many people sincerely believed they were doing good.
                          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Its not like the average soldier is drawing much moral conclusions on the battlefield, they were simply giving their best. You can be both brave and heroic on the battle even if you are a German of Japanese. Its all about the soldiers individual performance. Is it not brave or even heroic to save your teammates by holding the enemy by yourself?
                            Last edited by laurentius; August 14, 2005, 18:21.
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Az

Heroic/brave is risking oneself to do good. I don't think it counts.
                              Heroism and bravery is both very subjective. You can't claim those words for the "good" side since the "good" side depends on where you are standing.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X