Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Cooking ? A Grave Error of Taste ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Cooking ? A Grave Error of Taste ...

RACING pundit John McCririck today stunned Robin Cook's funeral by launching a blistering attack on Tony Blair's failure to attend the service at Edinburgh's St Giles' Cathedral.

Speaking in front of most of Britain's leading Labour politicians, Mr Cook's good friend accused the Prime Minister of "petty vindictiveness".

He contrasted the decision to remain on a family holiday in the Caribbean with former premiere Margaret Thatcher's attendance at her old rival Ted Heath's funeral earlier this year.

Mr McCririck told more than 700 mourners, including Chancellor Gordon Brown, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw and most of Mr Blair's Cabinet, that Mr Blair had snubbed Mr Cook's widow Gaynor and the rest of the family by staying on holiday.

He said: "What an impressive attendance we've all got. All of us have changed our plans to show our respect and affection for Robin and for Gaynor and the boys and the family.

"But there is just one exception to that - and that's the nation's leader, the prime minister.

"Now Margaret Thatcher, of course, she attended Ted Heath's service.

"I believe the prime minister's snub to Robin's family, to millions of New Labour voters, demonstrates a petty vindictiveness and a moral failure, opting to continue snorkelling instead of doing his duty. What a contrast with Lady Thatcher."

The racing pundit said that, even though Margaret Thatcher was not a fan of the late prime minister Ted Heath, she had still attended his funeral.

Mr McCririck's comments were met with a loud cheer by hundreds of members of the public who had lined the Royal Mile to hear a relay of the service on loudspeakers.

Mr Cook's widow heard the savage criticism as she sat flanked by his sons Peter and Christopher.
    Get all of the latest news from The Scotsman. Providing a fresh perspective for online news.

What great places funerals and weddings are for airing soiled linen and getting things off your chest.

Especially when you're as ugly and opinionated as this man:
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Thought it was in pretty poor tase myself. If you wanne do that, do it in some interview afterwards, not at the funeral itself.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
      Thought it was in pretty poor tase myself. If you wanne do that, do it in some interview afterwards, not at the funeral itself.

I think it's becoming an unofficial British tradition, what with Diana's brother suddenly rediscovering his fraternal feelings for her during his eulogy at her funeral, and slagging off the Royals.

The same guy who didn't want her staying at his bijou residence in the country because it might attract reporters and media types to his house- which of course he charges the public to see.

Still, bad manners, but entertaining.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
      X