Bertuzzi Uncaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bertuzzi Uncaged

Well well....apparently Todd Bertuzzi may play in the NHL this coming season.

Sinful Confession: Even though he is a brutal thug (apparently he put on a big sob story/crocodile tears thing), I really loved watching him play and that's what really counts in the end, right?

Problems: They've told him that basically he's going to be on the shortest of short leashes and even that 'he will be held to a higher standard than other players' (wtf does that mean?). Does this mean that we're going to see a season of todd bertuzzi getting beat on, unable to strike back, and then retiring in frustration? What will this mean for vancouver? (I assume that it's the canucks he's going to play for).
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Steve Moore hasn't been cleared to play. If you ask me, so shouldn't Bertuzzi.

If he gets knocked around and is forced to retire, that would be brilliant.

Comment

Bertuzzi is an animal and a criminal and should be barred from NHL to the end of times.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

He will be on a short leash, but so will the whole league with the rule changes. (Obstruction and Instigator changes)

The feelings I get:
        - No one (teams, players) wants this attention any more and they want to move on.
        - There is very little, if any, support for Moore amongst players league wide - they think he's a true goon (whereas Bertuzzi actually has skills) who is trying to milk the situation. Lawsuits by players against other players always invoke this type of reaction.
        - Colorado wants nothing more to be rid of him but has to be nice. No other team wants him either.
        - Bertuzzi will eventually be traded to make a fresh start and when that happens the whole fiasco will be relegated to the history books

Comment

The most telling F YOU in this whole thing is that Colorado aggressively went after and picked up Brad May, who is a named party in Moore's civil suit.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

dejon, sure.. until he snaps again and tries to kill again.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Bertuzzi should sit out at least another season. It is high time to really, truly crack down on dirty play by hitting these guys where it hurts the most--the checkbook. Another year without drawing a salary would get the message to rest of the league.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Perhaps, perhaps. Not sure if he's dumb enough to do it again - hard to tell.

Guy - I understand your desire to set an example, but I don't think Bertuzzi's case is the best one. It was one of only a small handful of serious mishaps during the league's whole history.

What is needed is a crackdown on the run-of-the-mill fights and injury-causing hits that are accepted as part of the game.

Comment

I would agree.. some of the hits seen lately are clear to me meant not to give a big hit, but more like put the guy in wheelchair. Unnecessary hits, lots of crashes near the boards.. it's part of hockey but some of them were really in the category of 'I want to see you die' instead of 'DON'T BLINK!'.

I hope big hits are still done, but just some of them seem kind of too much and it seems like a wonder they get up. I'm not talking about clean hits, but dirty hits. Make it clean and hit as hard as you can, but when dirty.. there oughta be some limits, it's a game, but ****..

Granted, Bertuzzi case isn't the problem. The problem is some of the series of things done, no one wants to see anyone paralyzed. Keep it clean, play hard. If fight comes up, fight hard. But.. as for dirty tricks.. punish hard.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by dejon
                    Perhaps, perhaps. Not sure if he's dumb enough to do it again - hard to tell.

Guy - I understand your desire to set an example, but I don't think Bertuzzi's case is the best one. It was one of only a small handful of serious mishaps during the league's whole history.

What is needed is a crackdown on the run-of-the-mill fights and injury-causing hits that are accepted as part of the game.
                    While I don't think it's a reason not to make an example of Bertuzzi, I absolutely 100% agree with your proposal as well. You seem to be in a substantial minority in your country with that opinion, at least here on Poly...
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

My reasoning is that further penalty to Bertuzzi doesn't reduce the likelihood of the one of the once-in-a-decade type incidents from happening, and also does nothing to reduce the run-of-the-mill injuries, because the guilty players will not associate his penalty as applicable to the them.

I have no problem with full contact, clean hits, hockey. I just don't see that fighting, dirty hits and unnecessary roughness belong. All those things invoke serious penalties in any other professional league.

And I don't think I am in the substantial minority, although I am likely in the minority - at least amongst long-time hockey fans.

Comment

Can anyone spot me a link to a list of the hockey rule changes and an explanation of their intended effects?
                        Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

It's time for Bertuzzi to come back.

McSorley is the guy they should have made an example of. Bertuzzi clubbed Moore in the back of the head a little harder than he expected, probably as a means of just trying to provoke a fight with him in retaliation for Moore taking out one of Bertuzzi's teammates. McSorley swung a hockey stick at Braschere's head, with intent to injure and maim, and without provocation. The latter is far more deplorable in my view, and the fact that Bertuzzi got punished worse than McSorley did is a horrible miscarriage of justice that I don't think will ever be righted.
                          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
                            Can anyone spot me a link to a list of the hockey rule changes and an explanation of their intended effects?
                            From TSN: New-look NHL has new rules

Comment

Like the icing changes.

And I LOVE the coaches getting fined bit.

The blue line tagging makes me think that there will be a lot of close calls on whether a fast moving player actually tagged the line. But it does get rid of the slow down of many calls on the old rules.

I HATE the 'no public derogatory comments about the game'. Where are we supposed to get the real dirt and reaction to the game?

This will just put the already annoying 'canned hockey player post-game spiel' into overdrive.
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                              X