Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride me like a wild poney! Yeehaw!

Oil surges to $66 a barrel
    Crude reaches another historic mark after demand agency forecast, refinery snags and Iran concerns.
    August 11, 2005: 4:11 PM EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil charged to a record $66 a barrel Thursday as Iran's nuclear work put it at odds with the United Nation's atomic watchdog, and more U.S. refinery snags threatened gasoline supplies to the world's biggest consumer.

Earlier the International Energy Agency said non-OPEC oil output growth was falling short of expectations, putting more of a burden on OPEC's stretched production capacity to meet rising demand.

Light, sweet crude for September delivery ended up at 90 cents, reaching $65.80 a barrel, after hitting a record-high of $66. London Brent was up $1.39 at $65, after touching $65.66.

"The presence of significant headline risk, most particularly from Iran's international relations, the Atlantic hurricane season and from tightness in refining, is continuing to support prices at higher levels," said Barclays Capital.

Treasury Secretary John Snow on Thursday said the question of releasing oil from U.S. emergency stockpiles to ease lofty oil prices was "off the table."

"That's really off the table for circumstances like the ones we're facing now," Snow said in an interview with CNBC.

In Vienna, the board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency approved a resolution demanding that Iran suspend all nuclear activities, a diplomat said.

EU diplomats said if OPEC's second biggest producer failed to comply with the resolution they would push that Iran be referred to the UN Security Council for punitive action.
    Refinery strain

In the United States, where refinery problems have strained gasoline stocks during the peak demand season, BP shut several units at its Texas City refinery, the company said.

And ConocoPhillips Wood River refinery suffered a power problem that briefly forced shut some units, the company said.

The news came on the heels of U.S. stock data on Wednesday that showed another fall in gasoline inventories in the world's biggest consumer that brought inventories 3.7 percent below a year ago.

Edward Meir, of Man Energy, said oil price forecasts were running the gamut. "In markets like these, it is best to let things run their course, especially given the fact that there are no resistance signposts to guide us."

The International Energy Agency, adviser to 26 industrialized nations, earlier nudged up its world oil demand growth forecasts for this year and next, leaving already stretched OPEC to fill the supply void.

The IEA cut non-OPEC supply growth this year by 205,000 barrels per day, with production problems in the U.S. Gulf, Mexico, Norway and Britain accounting for most of the shortfall. Russia is also pumping less than expected.

"The extent to which [the IEA] felt compelled to cut its estimates of non-OPEC production is a bullish factor," said Deborah White, senior energy analyst at SG Commodities.

Even with U.S. crude averaging above $53 a barrel for the year to date, in real terms prices are still below the $80 a barrel average of 1980, after the Iranian revolution.
    $1.45 is the cheepest here at the pump.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

I don't get it. What does this have to do with gay sex in a steamroom using iPods?
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

$1.45 I'm moving to NC! Its a dollar more here.

btw, Thorn, one of our active members is in Asheville.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
        $1.45 I'm moving to NC! Its a dollar more here.

btw, Thorn, one of our active members is in Asheville.
        WTF?

There are 42 gallons in a barrel. 42 * 1.45 = 60.9

60.9 < 66

Sure they're not watering the stuff down at the refinery?
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think the roads around Calgary are going to get a bumper crop of financing.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Remember when the stuff was like 12$ a barrel?

I recall seeing signs during the gasoline war in Montreal of 19.9 cents a litre (canadian)
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hmmm. All the news stories claim that the inflation adjusted high for oil was ~90$ a barrel, but according to some quick research it was more like 74$ a barrel

Which one is it?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is why I don't trust economists.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The Iraq war is all about the oil.

Comment

Clearly, there must be 50% inflation if you take into account our insane housing inflation.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      This is why I don't trust economists.
                      Why? Top graph is average annual data; bottom graph is average monthly data. Prices vary month to month, even day to day, so there will be a difference between the average annual maximum and the average monthly maximum. Also, top graph is 2004$, bottom is 2005$, but this makes little difference since recent inflation has been low.

No need to mistrust economists. Just understand the data you use.
                      Old posters never die.
                      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

You poor, poor, poor things.

It's 90p per litre here. That's over £4.00 per gallon.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

It's just starting to crack $1.00/litre here in Toronto. I was in Vancouver a few weeks ago and saw it at $1.01. It's so odd to see triple digit prices on signs in Canada.
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Re: Ride me like a wild poney! Yeehaw!

Originally posted by Thorn

$1.45 is the cheepest here at the pump.
                            That's the price of a litre where I live
                            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                              Why? Top graph is average annual data; bottom graph is average monthly data. Prices vary month to month, even day to day, so there will be a difference between the average annual maximum and the average monthly maximum. Also, top graph is 2004$, bottom is 2005$, but this makes little difference since recent inflation has been low.

No need to mistrust economists. Just understand the data you use.
                              Ahhh. Mistrust them less now. Slightly.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X