No announcement yet.

Pay Up, Deadbeats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC they were saying that the tariffs added ~3000$ to the price of every home built in the US.

Which is not huge when talking about houses, but it is certainly a significant factor.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

As long as this isn't about MTBE.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Ah, Americans. Playing by the rules only when they feel like it.

Come and join the EU Canada. At least here, the rules screw everyone over equally.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
          Ah, Americans. Playing by the rules only when they feel like it.
          It's good to be the king.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

It's good to be the king.
            Tell that to the current French monarch.
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Stupid cheating Americans....
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Free Trade

USA
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Maybe Canada should place an export duty on all our oil and natural gas flowing into the US-- If the US can ignore NAFTA rules to rake off additional money, why can't we??
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                    Maybe Canada should place an export duty on all our oil and natural gas flowing into the US-- If the US can ignore NAFTA rules to rake off additional money, why can't we??
                    Nah, just lower the pressure. We'll get their attention TODAY.

Sadly, as NYE points out, Torontonians aren't affected thus our Feds are under little pressure to fight for our interests.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      Stupid cheating Americans....
                      Some of them are, but some are like me. Decent peace loving compassionate, law abbiding folk.

Comment

Campbell urges PM to turn up heat on U.S. in softwood trade war

Judy Monchuk
                        Canadian Press

Friday, August 12, 2005

BANFF, Alta. (CP) - B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell has told Prime Minister Paul Martin to push back against the United States in the softwood lumber dispute - and that could include threatening to withhold resources.

"I think Canada has to be very firm and remind the Americans of our mutual benefit from trade," Campbell said Friday after speaking with Martin on Thursday night. "My message to the prime minister is to take this to the highest level and point this out," Campbell said as provincial and territorial leaders wrapped up three days of meetings.

Campbell said Martin has agreed to speak with U.S. President George W. Bush and try to get back $5 billion in penalties illegally collected by Washington in countervail and anti-dumping duties.

Campbell was frustrated after a fruitless meeting with U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins on Thursday. Wilkins told the premiers the United States does not accept Wednesday's ruling from a North American Free Trade panel which unanimously ruled in Canada's favour.

Campbell said it's time the Americans were reminded that they rely on Canada for energy.

"We reminded the ambassador that the United States is not the only jurisdiction that wants our energy resources," said Campbell. "We have enormous opportunities across the Asia-Pacific in China, India."

But Alberta Premier Ralph Klein said he has no interest in holding back energy to force the Americans to deal with the softwood dispute.

"If we start to use measures that are deemed to be vindictive, that only creates vindictiveness on the other side and it starts to escalate," said Klein.

Several premiers, including Campbell, whose province is most impacted by the ongoing trade war, have expressed frustration over the stalemate. Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty warned the U.S. ambassador that failing to live up to NAFTA could affect how ordinary Canadians view the U.S.

Campbell stressed the problem again Friday: "How can you build long-term relationships if they don't respect the laws they signed?"

Wilkins agreed to take the premiers' concerns back to Washington, but said the U.S. wants a negotiated settlement to the dispute.

"We've gone the legal route, but we've taken this the extent of the NAFTA legal remedies. We kept winning and we were successful in the end with a unanimous decision."

© The Canadian Press 2005

The issue is rapidly growing in importance outside of BC and the other forestry producers.

Can the Yanks be dealt with at their word?

McGuinty would be the one to watch.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Stick its to them.

*****ess,..

ARRRRRR!!!
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                            McGuinty would be the one to watch.
                            Dalton's issue is guns. The Centre Of The Universe has become a free fire zone, hence it is everyone's problem. I haven't heard him say one word about softwood lumber.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You have to love the US trade policy . .. generally "pro-free trade" UNLESS the Chines want their oil assets or a ruling gets made they don't like etc etc..... Its actually pretty easy to get a protectionist type measure in place.

The good thing for Canada right now is that a lot of our exports are in good demand right now. We still absolutely do not want any sort of trade war with the US (everybody loses) but a free trade deal is laughable if the US will ignore a consistent and unchanging series of rulings against them.
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

So long as we do nothing in response what incentive have they to change?

This approach works well for the US.

Comment

Working...
                                X