• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Up, Deadbeats!

Key NAFTA softwood ruling favours Canada

Sandra Cordon
    Canadian Press

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

OTTAWA -- Canada is claiming a major victory in the softwood lumber dispute with the U.S. following a key NAFTA panel ruling, and is demanding quick repayment of billions of dollars in penalties collected by Washington.

An extraordinary challenge panel under the North American Free Trade Agreement has dismissed American claims that an earlier NAFTA ruling in favour of Canada violated trade rules.

Canadian lumber industry spokesmen are already claiming this is the final blow that should end the dispute and are demanding quick return of the $5 billion in penalties so far paid to Washington.

But Washington quickly signalled isn't giving up the fight.

The U.S. industry has claimed that Canadian producers are unfairly subsidized through low fees paid to governments for timber - a claim the Canadian industry has long denied.

''We are extremely pleased that the (panel) dismissed the claims of the United States,'' Trade Minister Jim Peterson said in a statement.

''This is a binding decision that clearly eliminates the basis for U.S.-imposed duties on Canadian softwood lumber.

''We fully expect the United States to abide by this ruling, stop collecting duties and refund the duties collected over the past three years.''

Trade officials said they hope Wednesday's win will hasten a negotiated end to the dispute that began more than four years ago and has seriously threatened Canada's $10-billion softwood export sector.

But Washington isn't accepting that conclusion, insisting more negotiations are needed before the longrunning dispute can be wrapped up.

''We are, of course, disappointed with the (panel's) decision, but it will have no impact on the antidumping and countervailing duty orders,'' said Neena Moorjani, press secretary for the U.S. Trade Representative, Rob Portman.

''We continue to have concerns about Canadian pricing and forestry practices. We believe that a negotiated solution is in the best interests of both the United States and Canada, and that litigation will not resolve the dispute.''

Peterson and Portman, his American counterpart, have resumed talks aimed at negotiating a solution to the softwood dispute. They're expected to meet again as early as next week.

A trade official said the Americans still have some options outside NAFTA, including a formal constitutional challenge.

Canada has been fighting the combined countervail and antidumping duties through legal channels as well as in high-level negotiations since Washington began collecting duties in 2002.

Although Canada has won many of legal battles under the NAFTA, as well as at the World Trade Organization, that has had little real effect in the dispute.

Still, it has helped to lower the value of the combined duties paid by lumber exporters down to about 21 per cent from their high of 27 per cent when duties were first imposed in May 2002.

That's when the U.S. Commerce Department first accepted American lumber producers' claims that Canadian softwood was unfairly subsidized.

Since then, trade officials and politicians from both countries have tried to negotiate a new softwood deal, most recently meeting in late July with plans to resume talks in Ottawa later this month.

Canadian producers sell about $10 billion worth of spruce, pine and fir lumber a year to the U.S. home-construction and renovation sectors.

© The Canadian Press 2005

We believe that a negotiated solution is in the best interests of both the United States and Canada, and that litigation will not resolve the dispute.

IOWs, 'we get our asses handed to us everytime this goes before a competent body, therefore please give in and agree to trade restrictions.'

NOT!

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

**** 'em. It's time to start levelling retaliatory tariffs on US goods.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

be - aggressive
      b e aggressive
      b e - a g g r e s s i v e!

No I didn't read the post, just the title, I feel like fighting YEAAA bring it on .. someone!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's been decades that they've been pulling this horse****. They lose every challenge. They obviously have no intention of playing by the rules until we start providing incentives to do so.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          It's been decades that they've been pulling this horse****. They lose every challenge. They obviously have no intention of playing by the rules until we start providing incentives to do so.
          True, unfortunately.

You think most Canadians are willing to pay the price in pain to get their attention? That's the thing I have my doubts about.

However, if we really wanted to, a possible first shot would be to embargo wood products going to the US until they agree to live by the rules that we set out among ourselves and the panels that were set up to arbitrate disputes.

I wonder how the New York Times would react to a sudden tripling in price of newsprint, and the US home building industry grinding to a halt. Would that get their attention?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I wonder how much attention the major American forestry companies, who are up to their armpits in investment in Canada's forests, would get.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Rumour from the West Coast...

One of the biggest operations in BC actually wanted tarrifs. They own a lot of land in the US. They did two things with the tarrif.

They cut more and shipped more wood from Canada to the US to make up for smaller margins post tarrif. The higher price of lumber in the US because of the tariff made this work.

They made a killing on their lumber situated in the US. With every home built costing more, due to the tarriff, they made a killing on their American land.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

The best part of this whole thing is that American home buyers are the ones who are paying the highest net price. There are perhaps a few fewer people employed in BC, Quebec and New Brunswick, but the average Torontonian isn't feeling this a bit. That may help explain our weak response.

OTOH, every American who wants to buy a home is paying for it, ultimately.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Good show.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

For **** sake, it's wood. Who cares.

Bunch of BC hippies out of a job, they should move to Alberta and slave in the SALT MINES AND OIL FIELDS like real men!

/me Tim Taylor grunt.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Tim Taylor sucked dick in prison.

-FACT
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

But there are no steamrooms in prison. That's the difference.

-FACT
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I support your fight.

That said, the cost of building a house compared to the cost of the land it is built on in the US is such that it now makes more economic sense to tear down an existing house and build a larger one than to simply renovate the smaller house.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

We don't want any filthy pinko commie lumber from Canada. I'll gladly take burnt, unstable, and termite infested Texas lumber over bleeding heart liberal lumber from Canada!

Comment

In other words, the price of the wood means squat.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X