Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who says that video games aren't bad for your health? Man dies from playing games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who says that video games aren't bad for your health? Man dies from playing games!

SEOUL, South Korea - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing online battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play online games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.
    source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8888579/

Seeing as how this is apolyton I think this could have been any one of us! Now I bet somebody somewhere will try to pass a law regulating the amount of hours people can continuously play video games. A couple of thoughts...

1. What game was he playing? Battlefield 2 perhaps?

2. He quit his freaking job to have more time to play games...friends don't let friends do this (do they? )

3. AT LEAST HE FINISHED! Maybe he had nothing left to live for...

4. I know that I have played longer than 50 hours straight! Hell that's just barely over two days.

50 hours is not that long on a computer, if you do it non-stop.

So the guy must have had health problems that triggered the heart failure.

Strange that these types of news come from South Korea. I think I remember one from China aswell. But no where else in the world.
    be free

Comment

Who says that video games weren't the only thing keeping him alive?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

i knew a guy who dropped out of school because of a video-game addiction. he didnt die tho.

I bet he was playing gunbound. All the kids love that gunbound.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I have a freind that I have been worried about for this very reason

and he did quit is job, basically, to play video games

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

At least he died happy?

2. He quit his freaking job to have more time to play games...friends don't let friends do this (do they? )
            They do. They actually encourage it. But only if said friends are also addicts...

4. I know that I have played longer than 50 hours straight! Hell that's just barely over two days.
            I'm pretty sure I once played video games for 50+ hours straight without eating but I did sleep.... didn't come close to dying, even if I nearly fainted and my brain created all sorts of interesting pain signals to remind me not to do that!.
            I've definitely played for more than 50 hours straight without sleeping, but that would be with eating. The hallucinations and paranoia are fun!

Clearly in this case the man died of human contact, the evidence is all there, someone talks to him, he talks back, a few minutes later he dies. Remember: Social contact can be lethal!
            Last edited by Blake; August 10, 2005, 00:30.

Comment

Déjà vu.

Haven't we heard this before?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeh, it's one of those "slow news day" stock pieces. Change family name. Change date. File the story.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

What's strange is that this happened last year in Korea also.

I have to admit I am having a really bad addiction latley with Battlefield 2.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

That's one advantage of North over South Korea; their mortality rate from excessive computer gaming is much lower.

Comment

Hmmm... what's worse? Dieing from a gaming addiction in a South Korean internet cafe or being beaten to death in a North Korean prison camp?

Comment

Re: Who says that video games aren't bad for your health? Man dies from playing games

Originally posted by korn469

source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8888579/

Seeing as how this is apolyton I think this could have been any one of us! Now I bet somebody somewhere will try to pass a law regulating the amount of hours people can continuously play video games. A couple of thoughts...

1. What game was he playing? Battlefield 2 perhaps?

3. AT LEAST HE FINISHED! Maybe he had nothing left to live for...

I actually quit my job to play games.

well, not really. I quit because I didn't like it. but I did use the 2 months off to catch up on playing all my games. I did nothing productive for those 2 months. though you can argue I haven't done anything productive since those 2 months...

Comment

And I have never played for more than 22 hours. And that would be back in my civ2 days. There is no way my eyes could handle the strain.

Comment

I don't think I've ever played more than 12 hours straight. That would be a day of GTA: San Andreas and my favorite bowl of greens.
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

BBC said he was playing Starcraft (no surprise, huh?) on line.

Clearly its only MP that is dangerous to your health

At least he wasnt a casual gamer
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X