The Chinese Commo-Capitalist threat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chinese Commo-Capitalist threat

Marconi faces opposition to a planned merger with Huawei, China's leading communications equipment producer.

The recent fear and blocking of Chinese companies acquiring western corporations raises several questions.

1. If we beat communism why are we still afraid of china?

2. Is communism we fear or the fact that they are not western?

3. How is that we want open markets but when it comes down to it we want protectionism to prevent our markets from really being open?

I understand the living/working conditions of the worker and the value issue concerning chinese currency but accoding ideological doctrine a businesses under a communist country would never able to flourish enough that they would be able to purchase a large corporation in a free market society.
    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

It's an alien power with growing potential. Realistically speaking, they're most definitely a threat to anyone who wields the highest share of power so far.

Comment

It was my understanding that Chinese companies weren't being blocked, but that the Chinese Government (or Chinese Goverment supported companies) were being blocked.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

not government-supported, but government owned. They don't need the government to support them.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

It's not unheard of for a State Owned Company to make foreign acquisitions.

Comment

They are inscrutable.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think its pretty simple really. The US sees in China a country with the possibility, if not the liklihood, of supplanting them as the #1 power. It is not suprising that you would not want this entity obtaining a controlling interest over some key resources.

In economic theory you may want there to be a free market, but when you get to matters of national secutity and matters of the national interest, your actions may not be in accord with economics.

Now the fact that China is "communist" (well sort of) and don't have great records on human rights and the environment can be brought out to marshall support for certain measures but I think its simpler. The US wants to control itself or have controlled by its friends, enough of the key resources crucial to its industry and military might.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Aye, realism is still pretty much the ideology of international relations.

Comment

Being a succesful capitalist is all about opening your enemies markets and protecting your own. They aren't afraid of china, they are afraid of competition - otherwise american companies wouldn't be trying to expand into the biggest and fastest growing market on earth. Hell, even the NBA is in on china.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Protectionism

China doesn't let US acquire much in it. US won't let China acquire American companies until there's some quid-pro-quo.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                      Aye, realism is still pretty much the ideology of international relations.
                      Agreed. That's why I'm hoping a vast, alien armada shows up in orbit one day. That way we can unite to bring them down in flames, but only after half of the world has been wiped out.

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                        Being a succesful capitalist is all about opening your enemies markets and protecting your own. They aren't afraid of china, they are afraid of competition - otherwise american companies wouldn't be trying to expand into the biggest and fastest growing market on earth. Hell, even the NBA is in on china.
                        Capitalists aren't really American or Chinese. They're just capitalists. They only care about making money. Things may appear different on the outside, but they stay the same on the inside.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I find all the China hysteria hilarious. ZOMG the Chinese are gonna beat us all!!

I think blind fear and protectionism never really helps. Adapting and becoming stronger always wins.

It's kinda like all the big Hollywood companies. Every time a new medium of entertainment comes out (VCR, DVD, MPEG) they always move to block it as a threat. But then when they figure out how to embrace the new technology, they make WAY more money in the long run than they did before.

In my opinion, we're actually in the midst of the peak of Chinese acension, and it's not going to grow at this breakneck speed forever.

I've heard some Chinese friends voice this opinion, though have heard "stories" of others returning home because they can make more money in China now.

ZOMG TEH CHINESE?MONGREL HORDE IS GOING TO RUN US OVER WITH THEIR FIREBOATS@!!!!!11111111

LIU BI SAVE ME !!!!!!
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            They are inscrutable.
                            If only we could scrute them.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

It's not unheard of for a State Owned Company to make foreign acquisitions.

Oh, of course not. Just being a technicality nazi.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X