Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My letter to Jack Thompson (crusader against video game violence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"WW2 - Hitler, an upstanding member of German society. A wonderful, peaceful man with political aspirations... until he played Grand Theft Auto, right?"

Actually I recall seeing in book on Jewish history a board game by the Nazis, in which the goal was get all Jews to leave Germany (it was a very simple design, moving pieces on a path, with dice, I think) the point being that games, like ALL cultural products, can be used to propagandize youth.

Hitler of course was a product of HIS cultural background, which included a certain late romantic era glorification of violence. Not generally in the form of games though, IIUC.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
      In Doom you get to destroy the spawn of Satan. I mean, how much more ideal for Christians can it get anyway?
      turning the other cheek

Comment

A tri-weekly webcomic about video games and gamers since 2002!

Subtle.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Crap more like...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Regardless of how well thought-out your email was, the only response you'd get back from Thompson would be a letter calling you a pedophile or telling you to kill yourself.

He really is a giant douchebag.

Comment

So it will be like

Dear Sava,

Thank you very much for your e-mail,
              Go kill yourself you paedo

Best Regards,
              Jackoff

So does he answer his own emails or not?
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                Regardless of how well thought-out your email was, the only response you'd get back from Thompson would be a letter calling you a pedophile or telling you to kill yourself.

He really is a giant douchebag.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Pek, you have a good argument, and a great use of ad absurdum, but you reduce your credibility with the personal attacks. Let the sexually repressed technophobes get flustered and hot under the collar... the people that are rational in a debate are usually the ones that are right.
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Full PM-box? Change here!

Pek, you have a good argument, and a great use of ad absurdum, but you reduce your credibility with the personal attacks. Let the sexually repressed technophobes get flustered and hot under the collar... the people that are rational in a debate are usually the ones that are right.

Not are right, but seem right.

Otherwise, Sava is in a world of trouble.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Not are right, but seem right.
                      In terms of content, perhaps... but a rational approach pretty much always provides a better solution to an irrational approach.
                      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

You might not be rational and coolminded in a debate and still provide a pov that's both more constructive and more logically coherent and right, and that's the only thing that's supposed to truly mater. But people are judged on presentation, and this is one of those cases. A person who's aggrevated easily in debate, or that slips in his presentation is deemed to "not know his ****", and his pov is weakened by his own presentation.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          With that new avatar, Lord of the Mark, you should write "Have a nice day" at the end of all your posts. That way, you'll confuse people even more

Have a nice day!
                          I adopted Arik cause

1. Ben Gurion wasnt stirring anyone up
                          2. To show my support for disengagement
                          3. Cause i like his look

Have a nice day
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You might not be rational and coolminded in a debate and still provide a pov that's both more constructive and more logically coherent and right, and that's the only thing that's supposed to truly mater. But people are judged on presentation, and this is one of those cases. A person who's aggrevated easily in debate, or that slips in his presentation is deemed to "not know his ****", and his pov is weakened by his own presentation.
                            That's what I meant with regards to "In terms of content...", though to come to that position in the first place it is much better to be rational than to be, say, a thousand monkeys on typewriters. One can commit fallacies in a debate through "lead by the balls" rhetoric, hence they lose the debate. True that there is a degree of separation between a given debate and the positions used therein, a rational approach is better for both.

It's not necessary to throw insults around everywhere.

It is, however, slightly amusing

Comment

Working...
                            X