No announcement yet.

Tomato paste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn some into a sauce with red wine, mushrooms, salt, pepper, stock, garlic, and onions. Use that as a base for sauteing chicken pieces. Sprinkle some fresh thyme in near the end.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

"Heat it and stir it until the thing loses its excess water "

you must be thinking of tomato sauce..
      paste has no water.... its already thick.
      "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

This looks good but I can't eat garlic. Will it be ok without it?
        Naw, you can nix the garlic. No worries.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I never do the reducing to tomatoes to make sauce of them. I usually add flour to thicken and tomato paste to get it back into colour. of course, if you use too much flour, the taste is gone. so be careful. works wonders for consistency though.

Comment

Tomato paste is literally paste, a thick, sticky substance the consistancy of stiff mashed potatoes, roughly. I wouldn't use it by itself for anything, but it helps thicken tomato sauces quite well. As tomatoes are berries, tomato paste is frequently rather sweet, like sun-dried tomatoes.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

ive used paste before to make sauce.
              have to add quite a bit of stock or water.
              and lots of fresh herbs..
              like che said its sort of sweet.
              add a good beef stock from a long cooked roast and id probably add some good canned tomatos crushed .

but reading back i wonder if its really paste you have or if its just a large can of sauce... ?
              "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Our family recipe for marinara involves one large can of tomato sauce, 4oz of tomato paste, salt, herbs, spices, and grated romano. These days, though, jarred sauce is such high quality stuff, that' its just easier to buy it. In the old days, Ragu was the only stuff you could get.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Pasta sauce is a good idea, though we already have a jar of that in the fridge. However I did found the solution - 10 more pizzas.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Eat it right out of the can. It's mighty tasty.

Comment

Make it pasta sauce, pour in freezer bags... freeze. Defrost for the next spaghetti.
                      Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

lLTETP! will be the new motto of this kitchen.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

This looks good but I can't eat garlic. Will it be ok without it?
                          It'll be fine without garlic , don't worry .

Comment

Get a couple of bushels of tomatoes and start pasting them.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I use tomato paste in chili now and then, and it is just as good as tomato sauce, just add a cup of water to a 5oz. can of paste. Also good for minestrone.

Generally, we just use it for pizza. Wifey makes the sauce and then fills ice cube trays with it, freezes them, then places them a plastic bag. One "ice cube" of pizza sauce is good for one small pizza. Works for us.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X