Fuel from fish oil easy as baking a cake
    By Catharine Munro
    August 7, 2005
    The Sun-Herald

Page Tools
    Email to a friend Printer format
    Vegetable oil ... Luke Williams.
    Photo: Simon Alekna
    An underground movement of motorists is making fuel in their backyards and saving up to $1 a litre to run their diesel engines.

As oil prices continue to soar to historic highs, they are following an easy recipe available on the internet for making biodiesel fuel and putting it straight into their engines without modification.

Concocted from used vegetable oil that fish and chip shops give away, the fuel is hailed as being almost smog-free, extremely cheap and almost limitless in supply because it comes from a crop rather than an oil well.

Few are willing to admit publicly that they make the brew because the Federal Government imposed a new tax and costly tests.

Small businessman Luke Williams admits he is breaking the law when he mixes a batch of biodiesel without registering with the Tax Office. He pays about 20 cents a litre for the ingredients instead of at least $1.20 for diesel from the bowser. Instead of sooty fumes, his car emits a slight odour reminiscent of the fish and chip shop from which it came.

The recipe is precise but easy, Mr Williams said. "If you can bake a cake, you can do it."

Advertisement
    AdvertisementAlthough the chemicals can be bought in a supermarket shelf, they are highly toxic and should be mixed in a shed. "It's not a good idea for people in flats to be doing it."

Mr Williams said fellow biodiesel-makers were too concerned about Australian Tax Office checks to speak publicly but enthusiasts believe about 1000 people across the country make their own fuel.

Under the federal laws, even backyard producers must pay $1400 for a test to ensure that every batch meets Australian standards. They must also pay a fuel excise of 38 cents a litre.

Adrian Lake, head of business development at one of Australia's first commercial producers Australian Biodiesel, said: "What's driving it now is the sheer price of oil. It has been hard to justify the investment but now the price of oil has gone up, there's quite a lot of investment."

There was a story recently about some greenies who were driving around Australia using cooking sump oil from fish shops.

Apparently its true that your car smells like fish and chips if you use it.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Bio-diesel is nice. You can make it from used oil too - saves twice.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

thats what they're using - waste oil, which they get for free

I imagine Chinese cooking produces a lot
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Well done

Bio diesel can be put out there NOW, I think it's big business and politics that are holding it back.

We have enough farming capacity to produce enough of the damn stuff. With our genetic engineering talents, plants can be designed to produce more oil than normal plants.

Mister Diesel himself designed the stupid thing to run on ANY oil, and he preferred peanut oil, not this crappy petroluem crap we use.

damn crappy petroluem
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

****ing petroleum
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Mister Diesel himself designed the stupid thing to run on ANY oil, and he preferred peanut oil, not this crappy petroluem crap we use.
              I didn't know that.

Comment

I'm surprised. I thought that would be old news to an all class pro like yourself.

The whole story of Diesel is interesting. Many suspect that he was murdered by German agents in 1913, because he was going to sell his techology to the British. He wanted to make his technology available to anyone.

Had he not been thrown off the ship he was travelling on at the time, maybe history would have been vastly different, with the engine running on vegetable oils.

Then after the British sold out the Arabs after they used them to beat up on the Turks, they would still hate us but not have enough money to fly planes into buildings.

Comment

who exactly did they sell out the arabs to, I beg your pardon? The people that fought with them were all installed as chiefs of state - obviously as their puppets, but that's quite natural considering the fact that the brits had all the guns and money.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

so why didn't Hitler fuel his tanks with potatos?

Comment

Probably too busy being bombed.

Comment

Potatoes aren't the best source of oil, IIRC.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

that was a joke - but apparently not in Israel

Comment

We do try to filter out the bad ones.

But really, it's because of my chemical education, I guess.
                            Racist.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

This is fascinating.

I was watching one of those '30 Days' episodes on FX where they went to a village that was totally 'off the grid'. They had a Volkswagen running on cooking and veggie oil.

The program even showed how they got the oil, what they did to the oil, and a little modification to their car.

On the program, they showed a car by Honda I think that emitted nothing but water. I think it was running on hydrogen fuel cells or something (I'm no engineer). The host even drank some of the water, but he said it needed work.

Man, they should make home conversion kits or something for your cars. Reduces pollution, recycles waste, is cheaper than gas/petrol.

I save, you save, everyone saves.
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X