Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIDU (or short musing on baidu.com from the trading floor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIDU (or short musing on baidu.com from the trading floor)

I just started working at a trade desk earlier this week, and hopefully soon I'll have a series 7 and a series 55. So it's been a crazy week. I don't have TV at my apartment, nor do I subscribe to any newspapers, but I do regularly read online news. However, since I've been putting in long hours this week I haven't even really been keeping up with that. So today shortly after the market opened a customer put in a buy order for BIDU. I hadn't heard of it at that point (probably because I'm still poor and don't have any money to invest at the moment), but we filled the order in the 60's. By the end of the day the customer sold the stock, turning a tidy little profit on his shares. When it ran up from around 100 dollars to over 140 in just a few hours, I had to admit it was a rush. For anyone lucky enough to have bought it at it's IPO value of 27 dollars they could have made a killing on it today. Who knows maybe in the long run this stock will have real value, but to me it seems like people simply got carried away. Everybody was trying to get in and make money, and quite a few did. It was exciting though.

Anyways, now at 122 I don't know if it's a good time to get in on this stock or not. Google started out at 85 and now trades close to (and over) 300 bucks. Maybe this will beat that out. Maybe not. Anyways that's just a small snapshot of my day at work.

Interesting that you compare Baidu to Google because Baidu wants to become the chinese equivalent to Google. The potential is there, but I think it is years away. Far too long a time to justify their current market cap.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

the reason i compared it to google is mostly because google has had an impressive run since its debut as an ipo, and baidu could have the same run (though eventually it will probably crash and burn for at least a while)

Comment

Google makes money. Based on forward earnings it's undervalued at $300/share. If you buy BIDU you're gonna lose your shirt.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
        X