Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let the good times roll -- 249,000 new jobs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the good times roll -- 249,000 new jobs!

With 42,000 in upward revisions for May and June and 207,000 new jobs for July, the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced 249,000 new jobs in the US today. This brings the average number of new jobs to 191,000 per month so far this year.

The vast majority of these jobs are in the private sector, and those jobs that have been added by governments are mostly in education.

Rock on.

WRAPUP 1-U.S. jobs growth unexpectedly strong in July
    Fri Aug 5, 2005 9:03 AM ET
    By Tim Ahmann

WASHINGTON, Aug 5 (Reuters) - U.S. job growth picked up last month as employers added 207,000 workers to their payrolls, a healthy gain that outstripped Wall Street expectations, a government report showed on Friday.

The unemployment rate held steady at the 2-3/4-year low of 5 percent reached in June, the Labor Department said.

The payrolls gain, spurred on by service-sector hiring, was stronger than expected by economists who had looked for an increase of 183,000 with the jobless rate steady.

"This is a crystal clear indication that the labor markets are very healthy and it reinforces the notion that the economy is growing in a healthy, sustainable way," said Dana Johnson, chief economist at Comerica in Detroit.

Prices for U.S. government bonds fell on the data and the dollar edged higher. Stocks futures were little changed.

While some economists thought the report might be skewed by Hurricane Dennis, which battered the Florida panhandle in mid-July, the department said the storm appeared to have no discernible impact on the figures.

A net upward revision of 42,000 to the combined job count for May and June contributed to the report's solid tenor. U.S. employers added 166,000 workers in June and 126,000 in May.

The pickup in job growth last month pushed this year's average monthly payroll gain to 191,000, a pace economists see as strong enough to slowly tighten the labor market.

The factory sector, which shed 4,000 workers last month, was one of the only weak spots. However, the Labor Department noted that an 11,000-job drop in auto manufacturing reflected larger-than-normal temporary plant shutdowns for retooling.

This was the last piece of significant economic data that Federal Reserve policy-makers will have to mull when they meet on Tuesday to set interest rates.

The Fed, which has raised the benchmark overnight lending rate at each of its last nine meetings, is widely expected to bump it up another quarter-percentage point to 3.5 percent next week.

Financial markets see the rate hitting 4 percent by year end, although the jobs report had some betting it could move even higher.

"The Fed is going to keep chugging along," said Robert MacIntosh, chief economist at Eaton Vance Management in Boston.

Average hourly earnings shot up six cents, or 0.4 percent, in July -- the biggest rise in a year. However, earnings are up just 2.7 percent over the past 12 months, suggesting wages have yet to become a big inflationary concern.

The service side of the economy created the lion's share of the jobs. Retailers added 50,000 workers, in part reflecting job growth at automobile dealers hiring to cope with a surge of shoppers enticed by special sales incentives.

The U.S. economy grew a solid 3.4 percent in the second quarter and would have turned in an even stronger performance if producers had not sold off inventories to meet strong demand. With inventories lean, producers are expected to bump up production in the current third quarter.
    Last edited by DanS; August 5, 2005, 11:43.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

How long before this is debunked, just like every other thread than DanS posts on the topic?

Not long, I think.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

cause he is living in a material world, and he is a material boy ... TADADA
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

What I find most encouraging is
        Average hourly earnings shot up six cents, or 0.4 percent, in July -- the biggest rise in a year. However, earnings are up just 2.7 percent over the past 12 months, suggesting wages have yet to become a big inflationary concern.
        This somewhat counters all those that claim that the new jobs replacing lost jobs are mostly lower income jobs.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
          cause he is living in a material world, and he is a material boy ... TADADA
          I make no apologies for caring about this stuff. It's good news that a quarter million more people have jobs this month versus last. And the fact that most of them are getting jobs in the private sector is heartening.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

i was just doing what you said (ok, not really rock ok, but it was the first that came to mind)???

go US!

i hope you guys keep up the good work.

what kind of jobs are they btw?
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Retail, restaurants, education, health care, real estate, transportation, architecture, facilities management, management consulting.

Comment

They're all jobs that not even a black guy will do... Thus, they'll be taken by Mexicans!
                Monkey!!!

Comment

200,000 new Light on/off switchers

Comment

HERE'S some of those transportation jobs getting filled. $40k per year to start for train service employees, plus full benefits. Somebody's got to haul all that import traffic in from the West Coast. Its productive, skilled labor and pays well.
                    Old posters never die.
                    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

DanS sorry...what was that link for state by state statistics again?
                      '
                      edit nm i think i found it

total private: AR added 4,000 jobs

total nonfarm seasonally adjusted: AR added 3,600 jobs

total nonfarm not adjusted: AR lost 700 jobs

DanS new question: What does "seasonally adjusted" mean for labor statistics?

seasonally adjusted - 1,500 of those new jobs are government jobs but i guess this is about normal? that would be a bit under a third of all new jobs
                      Last edited by mrmitchell; August 5, 2005, 14:05.
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Looking at the database, lots of those are in small town Midwest, where $40k per year + full benefits is a handsome salary.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                          DanS new question: What does "seasonally adjusted" mean for labor statistics?

seasonally adjusted - 1,500 of those new jobs are government jobs but i guess this is about normal? that would be a bit under a third of all new jobs
                          I'm not an economist, so some others here might be able to give you a more precise answer. But in summary, some non-farm jobs are seasonal. By seasonally adjusted, as I understand it, it means the numbers reflecting these jobs are evened out over the course of a year.

Comment

Construction jobs are seasonal - not much going on in the winter time.
                            Retail jobs are seasonal - temporary hires during summer (back to school) and Christmas
                            etc.
                            Thus, raw numbers are hard to judge on a monthly basis. Seasonal adjustment is an attempt to run the raw numbers through statistical analyses to come up with a rational way of smoothing out the numbers and giving an end result that is easier to judge on a monthly basis. It works as long as the hiring patterns of the current year do not differ too much from historical patterns. Thus during times of economic change (the peaks of both downturns and recoveries), these numbers are less reliable.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The all new jobs are Mcjobs thing has been debunked in every single report (average wages have not fallen in a single report all year). In addition, the key is that the average job gain is now 191,000/month. This is 41,000 over the estimated 150,000 per month required to keep up with population gain. In my opinion, this is what marks a real recovery.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X