China and the US are to block G4 UNSC bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China and the US are to block G4 UNSC bid

Beijing will work with the United States to block a plan to add new permanent members to the UN Security Council, China's UN ambassador says.
    Mr Wang admitted that they would be working in parallel rather than together in the coming weeks, "because we have different friends in different parts of the world".

But he stated: "At this stage, I think our objective will be to oppose the G4, to make sure they do not have sufficient votes to take the risk to divide the house.

"We agreed to work together to make sure that our interests are maintained."
    That's an interesting development.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

China opposes Japan for a permenant seat, and the USA opposes the larger number of permenat seats proposed in the G4 plan. USA is also demanding that an expansion be bundled with requirments for reforming (corruption, nepotism, waste, etc) the UN.
    Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; August 4, 2005, 23:30.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It's not a development. This is a Chinese gambit to make it look like it isn't the only spoiler for the G4. The US won't confirm this and has merely said that it only supports Japan's admission so far. The US probably won't have to take a position against enlargement due to the G4 plan being unworkable.
      Last edited by DanS; August 5, 2005, 00:44.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Hehe...

...Mr. Wang...
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
          Hehe...

...Mr. Wang...
          One of at latest estimate over 10 million.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Hehe...

...10 million Wangs...
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
            X