Zen Vision Battles iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen Vision Battles iPod

.xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.

Hoping to take a bite out of Apple Computer's iPod bounty, Creative Technologies began seeding orders for its next-generation music and video player.

Available first in the United States and Europe and then elsewhere, the 30GB Zen Vision sports a 3.7-inch color screen and can store up to 120 hours of video or carry as many as 15,000 songs, the company said.
    Zen Vision

A little larger in size and heavier than even Apple's 60GB iPod photo, the device comes in black or white and sells for $399.99. It initially will be available online only.

Creative stock got a boost last week, when Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates again mentioned that he would like to work with someone like Creative to counter Apple's runaway iPod success.

Creative has been in need of some big news before its scheduled fourth quarter financial statement next week. Back in June, executives told analysts to expect a quarterly financial loss because of a slowdown in demand and extreme competition from other MP3 player makers.

Now, the company that has been spending millions in anti-iPod advertising is hoping its new Zen player will capitalize on a few things that Apple doesn't do yet--like play video.

"The Zen Vision supports video from TiVoToGo and popular Internet video formats including DivX," the company said in a statement.

The device also allows for photo transfer directly from a compact flash card or up to 17 other variations of media through an optional compact flash adapter that Creative sells.

In addition to playing music files, the Zen Vision supports downloads from Internet music stores such as Napster, MSN Music and Music Now. The device can also tap into music subscription services such as Yahoo Music Unlimited and Napster to Go. The company said the player also has a built-in FM radio with 32 preset options, and FM recording.

The Zen Vision comes with a USB cable to connect to a PC. A docking station is available as well.

Interesting.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Me want.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Nice
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The Zen Vision is "battling" iPod in the same way as M$ is "battling" Google -- i.e., it is "hoping" to take a bite out iPod's market share.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Meh, iPods suck anyway, but that Zen looks real nice in Black.

If only it came WiFi enabled, then I would definately buy one if I had the money, that is...
          Last edited by Krill; August 4, 2005, 13:07.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Supported video codecs: AVI, DivX 4 & 5, XviD4, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4, WMV9 and Motion-JPEG.

3.7" 262,144 color screen (640x480).

Includes an AV cable for connections to TVs/projectors.

Lightweight magnesium casing.

Standard player gives you 13 hours of music, 4.5 hours of video. Optional extended battery pack doubles this life.

FM radio included (including recording).

Voice recorder included.

124.2 x 74.4 x 20.1mm, 239g

97 dB SNR
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Heh, I'm going for this one:

http://www.gpx2.com/product/product.asp
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I've never been convinced on the practicality of having video on an iPod-size MP3 player. How often will you use it? Unlike music, which you can listen to while walking, driving, using the computer, studying, etc, you can only watch videos when you are, say, on a bus. I'm sure some will buy it for the novelty of having the latest and greatest in tech, but I don't know if regular consumers will want it. Although I may be wrong.

Comment

A portable media player
                  An organizer
                  A mobile phone that is a camera
                  A notebook
                  Tons of cables

Gadget-madness to the bitter ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                    I've never been convinced on the practicality of having video on an iPod-size MP3 player. How often will you use it? Unlike music, which you can listen to while walking, driving, using the computer, studying, etc, you can only watch videos when you are, say, on a bus. I'm sure some will buy it for the novelty of having the latest and greatest in tech, but I don't know if regular consumers will want it. Although I may be wrong.
                    I defently wouldn't buy that thing, but I wouldn't complain if someone gave it to me, it could be useful when going on long trips (as long as I'm not the driver)

What interests me the most about it is it's ability to quickly transfer pictures from a SD card to it's HD
                    Does there exist something else that can do this? I mean like transfering it to the HD on my Zen Touch
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Ugh, it may beat the iPod on specs for the moment but nothing so far has topped it on design, build quality or interface. More so for the iPod mini .
                      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                        I agree, I have no use for it. And it seems Creative knows that most people have no use for it: irc, you'll have to order it if you want one. So even Creative doesn't expect to sell a lot.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

I defently wouldn't buy that thing, but I wouldn't complain if someone gave it to me, it could be useful when going on long trips (as long as I'm not the driver)

What interests me the most about it is it's ability to quickly transfer pictures from a SD card to it's HD
                          Does there exist something else that can do this? I mean like transfering it to the HD on my Zen Touch
                          If I'm going on a long trip on a bus or even just a passenger in a car, I'd much rather have a 5-8'' portable DVD player than this.

Comment

The main use is for people who take, for instance, public transportation.

You can receive "podcasts" of the latest TV shows/news clips and have it loaded on the player every morning, then watch the TV shows/news clips while on the train/bus, for instance.

Or between lectures on campus.

Comment

Working...
                            X