Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haitian refugee to become Canadian GG

No joke.

Martin is expected to appoint Michaelle Jean as GG.

Michaelle who?

Golfing since 67

I recognise her from The Passionate Eye
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

For those of us who don't want to register:

Jean called 'inspired choice' for governor general
      Last Updated Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:17:13 EDT
      CBC News

Michaelle Jean will be Canada's next governor general. The official announcement will be made by Prime Minister Paul Martin at 11 a.m. ET on Thursday.

* INDEPTH: Governor General

Michaelle Jean (CBC Photo)

"It's obviously a very exciting appointment. Here's someone who's quite young, very dynamic, has a rapport with a lot of younger audience," said Paul Benoit, of the Monarchist League of Canada.

At just 48 years old, the award winning journalist will become one of the youngest governors general ever, the third woman in the job and the first black person to call Rideau Hall home.

Jean, a journalist, is probably best known to English Canadians as the host of The Passionate Eye and Rough Cuts on CBC Newsworld.

But her television career was launched in Quebec where she has worked as a journalist, producer and host for the CBC's French language services, SRC and RDI, since 1988.

She has worked as a correspondent for Le Point, hosted Le Monde ce soir, L'Edition quebecoise, Horizons francophones, le Journal RDI and RDI à l'écoute. Currently she is host of the French-language documentary series Grands Reportages.

Jean has received many awards for her own documentary work including the Amnesty International Journalism Award, the Anik Prize and the Galaxi Award for best information program host.

Historian David Mitchell says Jean will play an important role, at a critical time in Canada's history. "She will be a voice for Canada in Quebec and she will represent the new Quebec to the rest of Canada very effectively. She has that potential and that sense, this is an inspired choice."

Jean was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. She left in 1968, her family fleeing the oppressive regime of Francois 'Papa Doc' Duvalier, settling in Quebec with her family. She is fluent in five languages: French, English, Spanish, Italian and Haitian Creole.

A source close to the governor general selection process told CBC News "Canadians will fall in love with this woman. Her story, her nature and her character are nothing short of inspirational."

The prime minister will officially announce Jean's appointment on Thursday morning. She'll be installed as Canada's 27th governor general Oct. 1.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

When did the UK govt stop getting a say in this appointment?
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Probably about the time we stoned the governor's carriage in 1835...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What's the GG do?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Spends taxpayer dollars to tour the country and act important.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

wasn't anyone else available?
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Asher was busy.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

They called but I had to turn it down
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Spends taxpayer dollars to tour the country and act important.
                      I think Clarkson's spending habits were part of a cunning plan to get conservatives to demand an end to the institution.

Republic
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

She looks good too.

Ted?
                        What?

Comment

Yes, she beautiful. But I'm surprised she accepted that job. Governor general, what a waste of money. When will they eliminate it?
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Get a haircut.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                              Get a haircut.
                              She'll kick your ass off of that island in no time...
                              What?

Comment

Working...
                              X