Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in "love at first sight"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe in "love at first sight"?

In a literal sense, I don't. Lust at first sight? Certainly.

What about love at first conversation? I don't think that happens either, not real love. Infatuation, sure.

So how about it? How soon do you think one person can truly love someone else after meeting them? How soon do you think people can truly love each other? I honestly don't have any idea, just wondering what you folks think.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Yes. Love at first sight doesn't do the feeling justice verbally. Thunderstruck is a much more apt term.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yes
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I say yes and no. I get blubbery around some girls and your thoughts are going miles a minute.

But those are really rare. Then reality hits you like a semi-truck and brings you back from fantasyland...

...Unfortunately.
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

No. I do believe that certain people just "click" and quickly learn to love each other. But not love at first sight.

Comment

But is that really love, Franky? Infatuation seems like a more accurate description. I don't think they are the same thing.

Comment

Perhaps a better question is this:

Does love really exist? Or, do you believe that "love is the pleasant interval between meeting a beautiful girl and coming to the realization that she looks like a haddock?"

Comment

No, on first sight it will be lust.

OTOH love does exist. It's an evolutionary mechanism to strengthen bonds between individuals.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think love exists, but it's so rare that people think it's extinct. And nowadays people are all about sex and don't really care about love anymore.

They say love is dead, but I say that it's taking a looong hiatus.

But is that really love, Franky? Infatuation seems like a more accurate description. I don't think they are the same thing.
                  I dunno, to be honest. Sometimes yeah, thats attraction. But other times there's just something about a certain girl that draws you to them and you just don't know what it is.

Love is rare, my friend. But it's out there.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

love as in an alteration of the brain? of course it exists. It's part of the complex social structure of humans and the human brain (though other animals such as dogs seem capable of it).

Comment

Loves effects can be biologically seen with increases in serotonin in the brain.

As well as the near insane actions of some lovers that are crossed and feel wronged. Love makes you do weird things.

It is remarkable how similar the pattern of love is to the pattern of insanity.

-Merovingian (The Matrix Revolutions)

Comment

thunderstruck at first sight yeah

love at first conversation yeah

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

how about love if you have never met them?
                          is it possible to fall in love just from letters and photos?

personally i don't think so.. but what do you guys think?
                          "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

I don't think I could

I can imagine some people do

(the modern method is with chat and emails..)

Jon Miller
                            (I don't really think I know people unless I talk to them in person)

(in person talks seem a lot realler to me then virtual ones (and I include phone conversations as virtual))
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by boann
                              how about love if you have never met them?
                              is it possible to fall in love just from letters and photos?

personally i don't think so.. but what do you guys think?
                              I believe it's possible to fall in love with the mental image (I use image loosely- I'm not talking about visual appearance alone) of someone by letters/email etc. But when you finally meet them, you may find out things aren't quite as you pictured them.

Comment

Working...
                              X