NHL Free Agent Frenzy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Free Agent Frenzy!

Oilers land Pronger in exchange for okay-but-disappointing Brewer and 2 prospects! Yahoo!

That's what I call parity, baby!

So, who has your favourite team landed this off-season?
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Maybe a good move, but expensive.

Pronger will likely be their only star player given that he's getting paid $7.2 million. A decent goalie will cost the oilers another $5 million. Three mid-ranked forwards will cost about $12 million. So that leaves about $14 million to pay for the 18 other players.

Toronto is screwed. It has $10 million left and needs seven more players.

Vancouver will likely lose Naslund.

The salary cap is nuts.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

Flyers totally screwed themselves on the blue line yesterday.
      They acquired 3 pylons: Hatcher, Rathje, and Therein. Bob Clarke apparantly has forgotten how speedy teams like TB and Ottawa have kicked the Flyers out of the playoffs. All of these guys are big but slow. Hatcher is coming off of a major knee injury, and Therein is just soft.

To make matters worse, in order to create salary room for these FA signings, Flyers trade one of their BEST D-men, Danny Markov , to Nashville for a 3rd round pick! I really liked Markov! He was one of the few guys who showed up for us in the playoffs..

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the Flyers. They're looking strong, but yeah, Markov is a good D.

Canuck fans should be happy. Turns out all the rumours of Naslund leaving are false.

Iginla stays with Calgary. Picking up Amonte might take some of the pressure off of Iginla.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
          Flyers totally screwed themselves on the blue line yesterday.
          They acquired 3 pylons: Hatcher, Rathje, and Therein. Bob Clarke apparantly has forgotten how speedy teams like TB and Ottawa have kicked the Flyers out of the playoffs. All of these guys are big but slow. Hatcher is coming off of a major knee injury, and Therein is just soft.
          F*&*ing Therein when are we gonna drop that anchor?
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Iginla signs 3 year contract with Calgary.

I love this salary cap, the Flames salary is unchanged and the big markets need to give up lots of good players.

If the Leafs couldn't win with a big budget, they'll lose even more now.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Is that the Oiler's new logo (ie, first picture on the thread)? Ugh...

And as a Devils fan I gotta love the cap as well. Lou always kept payroll low, even with YankeeNets acquired the franchise.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.

Holy hell is that ugly.

The jersey/logo is ugly, too.

Calgary > Edmonton w00tw00t.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

F*&*ing Therein when are we gonna drop that anchor?
                  Primeau and JR asked Clarkie to bring him back. Hitch said that he had his best years under Terry Murray. Now that Murray is coaching defense for us, Hitch didnt object to bringing him back..

Comment

Yzerman returns to Detroit.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                      Maybe a good move, but expensive.

Pronger will likely be their only star player given that he's getting paid $7.2 million. A decent goalie will cost the oilers another $5 million. Three mid-ranked forwards will cost about $12 million. So that leaves about $14 million to pay for the 18 other players.

Pronger is a franchise player, remember. Plus, all Lowe is looking for now is a solid centre, which, admittedly, will be very hard to find now that Demitra is gone.

The Oil aren't looking for a goalie, they're quite comfy putting the weight on Conklin (who is only getting better) with Markkannen as insurance.

And even if we do try and pick up another middling forward or two, I doubt they will cost 4 mil each, considering the price Amonte went for.

And for all the whiners:

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                        Yzerman returns to Detroit.
                        Yzerman
                        Detroit
                        Hockey
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ugh, Calgary's 2nd jersey sucks ass.

Edmonton's original logo
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Oilers just got Peca from the Isles for Mike York. I do like York a lot, but I can't find much else to complain about picking up a very talented center who also happened to be the captain of his team.

In other news: Forsberg JUST signed with Philly! They are now OVER the cap, which means they'll need to make a few trades under pressure... We'll see who can take advantage of this...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              Edmonton's original logo

Comment

Working...
                              X