Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new partnership (homosexual or otherwise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Heterosexual people abuse it right now" was rather funny.

Sorry Wittlich, but as my philosophy should have expressed: while the legal contractions are binding, the depth of commitment and the willingness to honour it can never be enforced by society.

Polygamy and the rarer polyandry are another issue that needs to be addressed seperately.
    Could you outline the basic exceptions people have with multi-partnered unions? Many cultures have used them and I never noted them as being particularly corrupt or unhealthy in some way.

Are there valid reasons not to allow polygamy/polyandry?
    Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
      Well, all of the domestic partnership/marriage perks apart....I have just ended (about a month ago), a 15-yr relationship that I had with my partner. I found out that he was having an affair with another man for the past 4 months.

Even though we are not "married" in the biblical sense, I myself considered it as a "real" marriage" - obviously, he did not. Because he decided to have (and continue to pursue) this affair, I had to end our 15 yr relationship. I am a firm believer of "until death do us part" - of course, that was not in our domestic partnership, but my partner agreed to this prior to registering with the State of California.

I say it is his loss.
      I'm really sorry to hear that, Wittlich.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis
        Are there valid reasons not to allow polygamy/polyandry?
        The same as there are against disallowing gay unions. Complications with gaurdianship, inheritance, etc...

The guideline I am using is if it screws people's lives up, it is not good public policy.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Children born, or adopted, by two parents are placed under their joined guardianship. Those entering a union of more than two are placed under the care of that collective.

It would mean that all women are equally reponsible for the children of the union, regardless of who actually gave birth. While highly relevant to us all personally, the fact of who donated the child's DNA is irrelevant to society at large.

Inheritance should follow from a like argument. If legal responsibilities can logically be assigned to two people, it can be assigned to a number of people greater than two.

No, even the best public policy is going to screw with somebody - even if it is only the rapists and murderers.
          Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis
            Could you outline the basic exceptions people have with multi-partnered unions?
            Indeed, I cannot. I avoid the subject like the plague.

Many cultures have used them and I never noted them as being particularly corrupt or unhealthy in some way. Are there valid reasons not to allow polygamy/polyandry?
            There have been studies (that I've not read re:avoiding it) that claim such arrangements can be more harmful than good. Me=not an expert on the subject. That is why I seperated it from the main topic of discussion. Our Western culture doesn't DO multi-spousal marriages so - on the surface, at least - what other cultures do is irrelevant. Again, I avoid the subject, so others are more well-suited to discuss it.
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
            X