Even California gets it right sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even California gets it right sometimes

B. Birgit Koebke and Kendall French, a lesbian couple and avid golfers, sued the country club claiming it denied them the same benefits as married couples by requiring Koebke, who is a member, to pay an extra fee for French to play a round of golf. The club allows guests of married members to play for free.

The ruling will have a ``far-reaching impact across a wide range of businesses'' in California, including banks, insurers and health clubs, said Jon Davidson, legal director for the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, which represented the couple.

``If domestic partners want to buy a house and go to the bank for a loan, the bank wouldn't look at their income jointly,'' said Davidson, in a telephone interview. ``They won't be able to do that anymore.''

John Shiner, an attorney for the Bernardo Heights Country Club, and Jim Andrus, the club's general manager, didn't return messages left on voicemail.

Over 25,000 gay couples have registered as domestic partners under a California law that was enacted in 2003 and took effect in January. The law gives same-sex couples community property rights, mutual responsibility for debts, custody and support rights for children and the ability to claim a partner's body after death. It doesn't allow same-sex couples to file joint federal tax returns.

Insurance Discounts

Davidson said car insurance companies will have to offer registered California gay couples the same discounts that married couples get. Health clubs that offer discounts to spouses will also have to give the same deals to same-sex partners, he said.

The ruling by the San Francisco-based Supreme Court applies only to couples who are registered as domestic partners with the state.

The case is B. Birgit Koebke v Bernardo Heights Country Club, S124179, California Supreme Court, San Francisco.

Editor: Pinsley.

Like the thread title says, even the california supremes have to make a few correct decisions.

Small steps!
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Why is this a good thing?

If I understand correctly, the two were part of a civil union, and the golf course refused to recognize it because they were both women. Seems like a classic case of discrimination to me.

Comment

Besides, what kind of man would discrimate against lesbians?

The manager is obviously gay

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
        Seems like a classic case of discrimination to me.
        The court evidently agrees.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

The California Supreme court ruled in favour of the lesbian couple, Jimmy
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            The California Supreme court ruled in favour of the lesbian couple, Jimmy

Read first... then post .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

gay
              Homophobia

I reported that to Ming, someone's in for a banning.

(not. just feeling silly)

Comment

Whatever next - will they have to let women into the club bar.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

[pig]
                  I'm not sure I approve of angry women swinging clubs near men.
                  [/pig]
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

More evidence supporting the :mrfun: smilie!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Oops.

That sad part is I actually did read it... just not correctly.

Comment

Although my second post still stands.

Comment

Che

Lesbian golfers. Isn't that like, most mens' fantasy?
                          B♭3

Comment

Not if they look anything like lesbian tennis players
                            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Although my second post still stands.
                              JimmyCracksCorn's second post
                              Besides, what kind of man would discrimate against lesbians?

The manager is obviously gay
                              Yes, that was much more intelligent comment than the first post.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X