Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Upcoming Intel-based MacOS X is loaded down with DRM

Even to the kernel level. Nice.

This is something that's coming to Windows also (and basically any modern OS with real-world sensibilities, without the knee-jerk "it's the record companies coming after us reaction so many lesser people use).

But I seem to recall certain Mac proponents on this site harping about how evil MS is for their stance on DRM...and now it looks like Apple may get there first even.

This is looking to be one of the real reasons they switched to Intel -- hardware DRM.

As a sidenote, it seems Apple is heavily using SSE3...which is a good thing.

More info on TPM/DRM: http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/tcpa_rebuttal.pdf
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Asher do you approve of Apple moving to Intel?
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

It makes a lot more sense for a consumer PC manufacturer.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Agreed. I can understand them limiting MacOS to Mac-only hardware since they control the quality of the hardware. As for DRM, I am a lot more sympathetic to that than I am to old fashioned copy-protection since DRM encourages high-quality media as opposed to being strictly prohibitive, and can also be used by the consumer .

The big question is whether Apple can get something like their altivec technology on Intel hardware imo.
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

You mean like SSE3?

In a lot of ways SSE2/SSE3 are more powerful -- they can handle both 32-bit and 64-bit numbers, while Altivec is 32-bit only.

Comment

Nice

Would you consider buying a Mac and dual-booting XP/Vista and Tiger/Leapod?

Comment

I liked one of the first comments on slashdot, made in jest:

DRM on our boxes? Why, that evil Micro-- Wait, Apple's doing it? Great use of technology there, Steve!
              B♭3

Comment

So true, though, Q^3, so true!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                  Nice

Would you consider buying a Mac and dual-booting XP/Vista and Tiger/Leapod?
                  No

Comment

Working...
                  X