My First Impressions of the MidWest/Cincinnati

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Impressions of the MidWest/Cincinnati

Front porch mentality - Long ago Californians removed the front porch and erected 8 foot tall privacy fences to keep out the unwanted scowls of the unfriendly neighbors. Here, however, low lying fences and bbqs set up on sidewalks leads one to believe that it was the fences that made the neighbors annoying. Everyone I have met, thus far, has been pleasant and nice. No snubness or holierthanthou attitude that is so predominate on the West Coast.

Pop - first of all, you sound like a moron calling soda "pop". Secondly, calling it Coca-cola classic is silly. Finally, why is diet the default soda? If you don't order "regular" you are either going to be asked if you want diet or get diet. Crazy!

Meat - why has no one out here ever heard of Tri-tip?

Driving - and I though Californian's didn't know how to merge! Seriously, it is a yield not a stop!

Dinning - Guess what ppl, there are other types of cuisine besides BBq and bar food... Not that I'm complain' mind ya.

Sports - ok, Cincinnati, your teams suck, but you don't have to apologize for them.

Cornholio - is this horseshoes for the poor or for the handicap?

Alcohol- are there any good microbrews out here? I know you've got the whiskey covered.

---

Anyway, so far so good
    Monkey!!!

Welcome to Ohio!
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Meat - why has no one out here ever heard of Tri-tip?
      What's tri-tip?

Regarding pop, to delocalize, I have started calling it Coke. It works anywhere coast-to-coast. Soda is soda water for your drinks.

Regarding the holier-than-thou attitude, welcome to the Midwest and enjoy yourself.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: My First Impressions of the MidWest/Cincinnati

Originally posted by Japher
        Alcohol- are there any good microbrews out here?
        There's a Scottish restaurant in downtown Cincinnati that's got some fun beer on tap, like Old Engine Oil. I'm pretty sure they import it rather than brew it themselves, though.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

There used to be a hofbrau where the college kids hang out that had great stuff from Germany that was pretty fresh.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Did you just move here? Only heathens say soda, by the way.

Comment

nuhuh
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I still have relatives in ohio not cincinatti One word of advice white castles suck. Their idea of true honest mexican food is taco bell (Like that is real food). Most folks were pretty nice till we went to the mall and every lady that we said hi to grabbed their purse like we were going to mug them.
                Hope you enjoy your new place though
                When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I'm use to the purse hugging.. they best do that, cause I'm a klepto.

I like Taco Bell.

White Castle does suck
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

What's tri-tip?
                    Tri-tip is a sirloin tip roast. It's generally between 2 and 3 pounds and is great for grilling.

Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher How did mrs japher tolerate the trip being preggers and all? Taco Bell is good for fast food. As far as for the klepto uh prolly not a good idea to reach for them they might smack you upside the head with said purse
                      Oh good lord is that just for one person??
                      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

Oh good lord is that just for one person??
                        Suppose to serve 3-5 ppl. it is over 2 pounds of meat

Japher How did mrs japher tolerate the trip being preggers and all?
                        She did fine. We flew the redeye, first class, she slept the whole way. I think the stress was the worse thing about the whole deal. Everything is finally coming together though.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Ahh got ya on the meat looks a lot like brisqit
                          Isnt there a lot of hall of fame thingys in ohio like baseball rock and roll and the nfl one?

Comment

Hey I have lived in Ohio, the only thing they have is the biggest basket in America. So, other than that, what is in Ohio.....Nothing!
                            Jk I am sure you will find lots of stuff to do...if you visit Kentucky, PA, or Wisconsin.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X