Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I read files from a CD-R in Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I read files from a CD-R in Linux?

I'm trying to install a terrible program on terrible Redhat 8.0. The computer isn't connected to a network, and Linux isn't happy about mounting zip disks for some terrible reason, and so I burnt the terrible program to a CD-R using a Windows box (I'm not allowed to connect a Linux box to the network). The files are there (I've confirmed on another Windows box), but Linux can't find them. What the dillio?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

No automount perhaps?

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Bizarro-automount is working fine -- I'm able to locate a .inf file, a .exe file, and a .zl file. However, the files I burnt to the CD are a .sh file and a .tgz file.

Comment

Have you tried with another CD (to see what is on it) ? or tried to copy those .inf/.exe files ? Could give some sane errormessages - eventually show if the drive are accessed.

Btw. I find it mildly amusing that you are not allowed to connect a linux box to a network that sounds as it's filled with MS boxes. At my work we are changing all our old Solaris servers to linux
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Perhaps you need to try with a clean CD (ie nothing on it from a previous burn)
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I'd use a proper operating system
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

CCP/M ?
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                I'd use a proper operating system
                Let me know when someone's invented one.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                  CCP/M ?
                  CCCP/M? The communist operating system?
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

CCCP/M? The communist operating system?

I don't think that Digital Reseach had many communistic sympathies

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                      Have you tried with another CD (to see what is on it) ? or tried to copy those .inf/.exe files ? Could give some sane errormessages - eventually show if the drive are accessed.
                      I successfully opened the Linux install CD, so the drive appears to be working. I think it's a file format problem.

The .inf file is just the autorun.inf. The .exe and .zl files don't do anything when I try to "run" them. The .inf, .exe, and .zl files don't show up when I open the CD on a windows box, but they're probably just hidden files.

Originally posted by pchang
                      Perhaps you need to try with a clean CD (ie nothing on it from a previous burn)
                      This was a clean CD. I tried again with a simpler burning program that didn't put on the .exe and .zl files, but met with no success.

Comment

I wsn't so much interested in if you could run them, more if you were able to copy them to f.ex. /tmp on your linux.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

How big are the programs? Maybe you can e-mail them?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

This was a clean CD. I tried again with a simpler burning program that didn't put on the .exe and .zl files, but met with no success.
                            You're not trying to burn rewritable cd's are you?
                            That caused me no end of problems in redhat 3.0 (?).

Burning them as write once cd's seemed to fix the read problem for me.

Comment

I have no problems burning CD-RW's in Fedora Core. Use cdrecord to wipe the discs and x-coast to burn them.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X