Marrying for financial aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marrying for financial aid

Ixnay's thread reminded me of a trend I've noticed, and facilitated, of students getting married to qualify for financial aid.

The mechanism works as such: Financial aid in the United States is based on family income. However, under certain circumstances, students can be classified as independent, in which case only their own income is considered. They are:

1. Age 24 or older
    2. Have served in the military
    3. Married (in California, same-sex domestic partnerships are also OK)
    4. Ward of the state
    5. Have dependents (children)

Four of these are rather steep barriers, but marriage is simple and can be done in an hour and around $70 where I live. In California, domestic partnerships are even faster and cheaper, and can be done by mail.

While I have not done this myself (it would mess with tax deductions on my parents' end), I know of more people who have gotten married for financial aid than for love.

Some people here suggest its maybe only a Bay Area thing and people elsewhere take marriage more seriously, so, has anyone else heard of this where they live?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

"but marriage is simple and can be done in an hour and around $70 where I live. In California, domestic partnerships are even faster and cheaper, and can be done by mail."

I thought it was a sacred institution?

In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

My best friend married a lesbian friend of his to qualify for finacial aid in the mid 80s. Her family stopped paying for school when she came out, and his family made too much money for him to qualify for aid, but not enough to actually pay for school.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Pssst. It's the USA
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I'm not surprised more foreign students are doing this for both a green card and the potential to qualify for federal aid. Federal students, IIRC, don't qualify for a lot of aid that American citizens do.
          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

In the case of foreign students, a lot of them don't know or have misconceptions about it. I've talked to some who thought that this would make getting a green card harder, or that the INS does background checks on foreigners marrying Americans.
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I would demand conjugal rights for my signature.

As for the marriage for green card, as I recall, it is difficult to go back to your homeland until INS gives you a green card. And INS takes its time issuing green cards.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                speaking of sacred, I am an ordained minister of a homegrown religion.

Comment

Sent in your $25 to become a Minister of Bob?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

isnt there a clause in ther like being born before 1984 as of 2004 im not sure but i think there was, not that it matters or anything.
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Actually it's CIS (Citizenship and Immigration Services) now. And the card is pink, not green.

Yes, it does take a long time to get the card...longer still to naturalize - with or without a marriage.
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        Some things are even more holy . . .

Comment

In Chinese folklore there is a god of wealth. He is very popular.

Comment

Working...
                          X